Author Topic: Wanted: Vintage photographs, programs, information, etc...  (Read 41443 times)

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Wanted: Vintage photographs, programs, information, etc...
« on: November 17, 2012, 09:46:21 PM »
We are always on the lookout for more photographs to add to the various race reports and other items that we are gathering together to showcase the history of the great Trans-Am series. If you are a driver, former crew member, or had other pertinent involvement, we'd love to hear from you. If you know the history of a particular car, whether it ended up getting destroyed or not, please fill us in. There are quite a number of instances where the same car raced in Trans-Am under one color scheme and driver combo and went on to be repainted and driven by a different driver. Do not take for granted that we know this. If you don't know how to post photos, don't worry. I have no problem helping you out. Either send me a private message on this forum or send me an email at jon.mello "at" verizon.net. We have been extremely fortunate to have terrific contributions from Ron Lathrop and Jerry Melton which have yielded outstanding coverage of races such as the '69 Michigan Wolverine Trans-Am and the '69 Mid-Ohio Trans-Am, just to name a few. We'd like to continue to do that again for other years and other races. Thanks to all for your consideration and help in this regard.
Jon Mello
CRG

VINCE Z28

• View Profile
Re: Wanted: Vintage photographs, programs, information, etc...
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 09:41:22 PM »
Hi Jon have you seen the information on the two 67 Z's Prep by Dana Chevy for Ron Tonkin Chevy in March of 1967 for Sebring race? Dana prep for Dick Guidstrand and Tom Lynch. Historic Trans Am site.
" He who knows naught, knows not that he knows naught"  It's not you...  It's just the way my brain is wired.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 10:49:43 PM »
Yes, I did. I think you're talking about the reference made at the link below, correct?

http://www.historictransam.com/projects/MikeHaemmig.html
Jon Mello
CRG

VINCE Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 12:36:32 AM »
Yes that's it. I heard one of the two Tonkin "67" Z's was wrecked before ever seeing a race and was like the 4th or 5th produced any truth to that?
" He who knows naught, knows not that he knows naught"  It's not you...  It's just the way my brain is wired.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 04:36:56 AM »
Ron Tonkin got the 8th one built and ultimately had two '67 Zs prepped for racing by Dana Chevrolet. Both cars were being trailered to the Continental Divide Trans-Am race in August '67 when they were involved in a trailering accident. Neither car was destroyed and they were advertised for sale in 1968. I don't know who got them after they were sold but hope to get it figured out someday.
Jon Mello
CRG

69jerryl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 05:24:30 PM »
I saw those 2 cars in 1968 inside the dealer showroom on SW Burnside in downtown Portland. I took pics but I can't find them.  They were both red with standard white Z28 stripes. Very stock looking, no Penske style upgrades.....  They were on Firestone tires with American Racing mags. Still have the pics and will look more for them.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 07:57:49 PM »
Great information. Thanks for posting. If you could find those photos and post them that would really be appreciated. Did they have the same paint scheme as shown below with Ron Tonkin Racing Team painted on the door? I thought one might be black and the other red but it's nice to hear from someone who saw them that they were both red.
Jon Mello
CRG

69jerryl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 04:43:58 PM »
Positive they were both all red. No logos at. For sure at least one had full white number circles......blank numbers. I was very aware at the time what they were and checked them out. My photos were very good .......but I am still looking for them.
I was driving my brother's "67 red Camaro 327 at the time when I passed by the dealer........still looking !!   

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 10:41:32 PM »
I appreciate your vivid recollection of the cars and hope that you can locate those photos someday. I'd love to see them.
Jon Mello
CRG

VINCE Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 06:03:30 PM »
Jon would you happen to know the guys name in this pic?

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 11:10:28 PM »
Yes, that's Dick Guldstrand and he's sitting on the hood of the Chaffey College sponsored Mustang he drove in the '70 Riverside Trans-Am.
Jon Mello
CRG

VINCE Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 06:21:57 PM »
Jon, have you look at Albert R. Bochroch Photograph Collection of roger Penske pictures of his shop truck and motors?

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2017, 08:26:02 PM »
No, I have not but I appreciate you posting about it.  Do you have a direct link to his photo collection?
Jon Mello
CRG

VINCE Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2017, 08:54:05 PM »
Sorry, I'm not good at links. It's on the Revs Digital Library, Bochroch Collection page 6,7 and 8. Al so on Canadian web site autocourse.ca Camaro's form the 1969 and 1970. Photo of Derek Johnson at Mont- Tremblant May 24th 1970

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2017, 01:10:24 PM »
Thank you!
Jon Mello
CRG

anything