Author Topic: Original 1968 heater blower motor  (Read 2880 times)

sam81663

• View Profile
Original 1968 heater blower motor
« on: November 04, 2012, 06:38:28 AM »
I need advice.
I was going to just buy a new heater blower motor when I noticed the date on the one I took out.  It was dated the same month as the car.  Now I am torn. 
question one:  Should I keep the blower I have and just put it in the basement and buy a new one or have the old one rebuilt?
question two: Who in the world rebuilds blower motors? Mine is somewhat tight.  It turns but it is tight. 
Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
Ron
Ron                                                                                   Restoring 69 coupe-? Kurt S. knows more about my car than i do!        Once owned 68 ss 350 powerglide on column - 69 396 ss rs 4 speed - 69 307 auto on console

tmodel66

• View Profile
Re: Original 1968 heater blower motor
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 02:22:11 PM »
Ron I put my original in storage and bought a new one. Unless your going to the National event I wouldn't worry about it too much. As for a rebuild  you should be able to get it rebuilt at any local place that does electrical motors. That's all it is.  A 12V electric motor. Take the fan off and there you go.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 08:51:44 PM »
X2 on Daniel's advice.  The good thing about replacing the motor (or even having it reworked) is you will know you can count on it for years to come.  The motor on my 68 heater/ac still blows strong, but I had it cleaned up by a friend who does auto elctrical work when I first got the car.  Original heat/ac that will burn you out in the winter and you can "cool meat" in the summer. 
Ask around at some local shops, I'll bet you can find someone who reworks electric motors in your area, if that's the route you take.
Good luck!
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

sam81663

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 09:36:36 PM »
Thanks. new one it is.
Ron                                                                                   Restoring 69 coupe-? Kurt S. knows more about my car than i do!        Once owned 68 ss 350 powerglide on column - 69 396 ss rs 4 speed - 69 307 auto on console