Author Topic: Do These Numbers Look Good?  (Read 5423 times)

HOT3O2

• View Profile
Do These Numbers Look Good?
« on: September 18, 2012, 11:21:22 PM »
Hey Guys

I came across this rim for sale and had some questions on the stamping. Does this stamping look good to you?

Thanks, I always appreciate your opinions.
Rick
69 RS/Z28

IZRSSS

Re: Do These Numbers Look Good?
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 12:51:03 AM »
Rick - I think the numbers are good but...blow up the pic of the rim and take a close look at the lug holes. Kinda egg shaped. ;)

HOT3O2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 01:02:05 AM »
Thanks Marty,  I appreciate your input. My concerns were the heavy stamping on the letters and some of the numbers. I been checking out a lot YH rims the last few year and I can't remember coming across stamping that look that good. Usually the stamping is light where sometime you can hardly make it out. And thanks Paul for posting the link, I didn't think about that.  :)
Rick
69 RS/Z28

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 01:08:43 AM »
Just going by my own wheels and stamps I saw while shopping for the ones I bought I think they are good to go but Marty is right about the holes being egged.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

IZRSSS

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 10:20:54 AM »
My concerns were the heavy stamping on the letters and some of the numbers.

I see what you mean. Here is another rim (YA/SS) I have on file. It is probably more along the lines of what you are used to seeing. I think the only difference is that your rim was punched early in a series and had a fresh set of metal stamps/dies.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 11:27:44 AM by IZRSSS »

Everett#2390

• ^Bess
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 10:58:54 AM »
Could the top wheel have been sanded/ground about the stamping area - see the detail?
Are most OE wheels stamped like Marty's wheel, meaning , do you read the letters from the hub or from the rim?
Also, it looks like Marty's wheel, the stamped characters follow the circular pattern and randomly stamped where the ebay wheel the whole stamp is flatlined.
A flashlight is a case for dead batteries.

IZRSSS

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 11:20:30 AM »
I thought I was the only one that woke up before the chickens. :-\

I hope I'm not reading too much into this but a closer look does appear to show signs of tooling/decking. In fact so much so that it was probably done by the factory. Con artists tend to "hide" their work.  Also, I can't see anyone stooping to this level/effort for something like a rim.

I also checked two of Jerry's books where he has 5 different pics of rims and the stamp of one in particular is just a crisp as this one. Also, some stamps (in his books) appear to be flatlined & other's follow the circular pattern. BTW, good observation.

HOT3O2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 11:44:25 AM »
Thanks Guys for all your input. It sure is nice to have more than one set of eyes to look at things. And you all bring up great points.
Rick
69 RS/Z28

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 12:37:36 AM »
That's an original stamping. Matches others that I have.
Kurt S
CRG