Author Topic: The 1967 Camaro as Seen at Auto Shows & Unique Promotional Exhibits in 1966/1967  (Read 62678 times)

SMKZ28

• View Profile
Although some of his dates and information are contradicted by some of the pictures I have found, Rick Loving posted a history of the Chevy Jr. on the Corvair Center web site.  He stated that:

“Some time prior to 1965 GM contacted Rupp MFG, a mini-bike and go cart company located in Mansfield Ohio, to provide a chassis for a miniature fiberglass replica of the Monza SS show car. Rupp ended up paring one of their existing models of go cart chassis, the Dart Kart with the scale replica Monza SS body which was then designed to fit the Dart Chassis. The single seat Monza Jr. was powered by a 3.5 HP Lauson motor (a division of Tecumseh). The body had integrated inner fender wells to keep out road debris. The steering consisted of a uni-action steering linkage and braking was handled with a 6” drum and brake strap setup common to Karts. The drivers ride comfort was enhanced by inflatable rubber tires and a black padded naugahyde seat with front and side bolsters. It would appear that the first Monza Jr.’s were offered with black seats and the later Chevy Jr.’s were offered with white seats.

In 1965, Chevrolet received its first order of Monza Jr. go carts from Rupp. Chevrolet displayed them and raffled them away at auto shows and exhibits. It is believed that they first made their appearance at the Detroit Auto show, possibly in conjunction with the newly restyled 1965 Corvair debut and then continued to make their appearance at various auto shows, traveling Chevy shopping center shows, Chevy exhibits at fairs, etc.

Initially they could only be won through these special promotions, but eventually Rupp was allowed to sell them to the general public. Not only could the general public purchase them from Rupp but also dealerships began buying them and offering them in their own promotions as well.

Over the years there were some slight changes made to the carts. The very first carts produced from 1965 to 1967 were named Monza Juniors and were Ember Red like the full sized Monza SS prototype they paid homage to. There are two different styles of Monza Jr. cart bodies.

The first generation carts manufactured were similar to the Mitchel and Jordon cart body, in that they had the raised “hump” behind the driver (as compared to later styled bodies) to allow for a taller rear seat. A windshield option was never offered by Rupp and was only seen on the two GM specialty carts. The 65-67 Monza Jr carts came with a 3.5 HP Lausen motor and all other standard Rupp Dart options. This particular body style was produced in a much lower quantity and only a few are known to still be around. The cart was offered with an optional triple white stripe decal (2 narrow on either side of wider center strip) running down left side front to rear. This was a lower quality tape, most often peeled off or missing once exposed to weather. The carts came with a black license plate with Silver Bowtie and Monza Jr. script and red reflector faux brake lenses. The instrument cluster area had decal with Monza Jr. and a Chevy bowtie in the lower right hand corner of the cluster panel.  Sometime after the initial production run of Monza Jr bodies, a re-design of the body occurred. This 2nd generation body kept the main body lines but changed the rear deck area behind the driver, the cockpit back shaping was lowered and the high of the seat was changed to accommodate the new height of the cockpit area behind the driver. Both the 1st and 2nd generation bodies had a molded area for the Monza cross emblem on front nose of the cart body. The Monza Jr.'s have a serial tag riveted onto the body, in the drivers "cockpit" area, generally on the passenger side.

In 1968, there was a 3rd generation body which consisted of a very minor body change removing the raised area on the front nose where the Monza cross was placed on earlier versions. Additionally, the cart’s name was changed to Chevy Jr. and the body color was changed to Marina Blue with a wide horizontal white stripe pattern added to the nose and rear end. This white stripe consisted of a thin stripe and a thick stripe with the words CHEVY JR in black print. Early Marina blue carts came with the Lausen 3.5hp motor, but sometime in 1968 Rupp switched to using a 3.5hp model H35 Tecumseh motor. The H35 would be used in all future carts. It would appear that early production (if not all) of the Marina Blue Chevy Jr. had the serial tag riveted to the passenger side like earlier carts.

Sometime in early 70’s the Chevy Jr. body color was changed to Corvette Monza Red (a red with more orange color tint) with similar white stripe on the nose and tail. However the stripe now had the script Chevrolet printed in black instead of the print Chevy Jr. Chevrolet continued to use the carts in promotional give-a-ways up until around 1975. The Monza Red Chevy Jr bodies did not have a serial tag affixed to the body and only had a visible serial decal placed on the frame of the cart . A stamped “hidden” serial number can be located on this Chevy Jr frame on the left side, "floor pan", between the main frame rail, and the outer rail where the body mounts to, close to the front of the pan.” (http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.php?1,892456,892490)

More info can be found here: https://www.vintagekarts.com/monza_ss.htm  and https://bangshift.com/bangshiftapex/rupp-chevy-monza-jr-go-kart-found-craigslist-coolest-kart-ever/

1st picture: Chevy Jr Giveaway Detroit Auto Show (enlarged to show red color) (cropped from http://pilotcarregistry.com/rare-vintage-photos.html)

2nd & 3rd pictures show a Chevy Jr today (www.hemmingsmotornews.com)

Scott
I don't have a 1st Gen but I have 1971 Z28 RS 4-spd, 1997 Z28 Z4C 6-spd, 2000 SS Convertible, 2010 RS 6-spd

SMKZ28

• View Profile
February/March 1967, Chicago, Illinois continued

A Camaro Cutaway display made an appearance at the Chicago Auto Show but unlike images from preceding Auto Shows this one was equipped with rally wheels instead of the base wheels with standard wheel covers.  In fact, the stock photo of the Camaro Cutaway display with the standard wheel covers even appeared in the February 12, 1967 edition of The Chicago Tribune.  A dark colored Camaro convertible also appears in the photo above the Cutaway Camaro and a light colored Camaro coupe can be seen in the foreground.  The slogan written in cursive on the sign to the right of the Cutaway says “Fashion Goes Motoring.”  It will be further explained in the next post. 

Picture: Cutaway Camaro (Chicago Auto Show Facebook Page)   
Scott
I don't have a 1st Gen but I have 1971 Z28 RS 4-spd, 1997 Z28 Z4C 6-spd, 2000 SS Convertible, 2010 RS 6-spd

SMKZ28

• View Profile
February/March 1967, Chicago, Illinois continued

“Fashion Goes Motoring” was the slogan for the Collection of Women’s Fashions inspired by the Camaro.  In his book entitled The Great Camaro, Michael Lamm states on page 27 that, “another early Camaro promotion consisted of a new line of women’s fashions.  These were created by designer David Crystal of New York.  Known as the Camaro Collection, the half-dozen dresses were ‘named for Chevrolet’s sporty new personal-sized car.  The introduction of the fashions for motoring reflects the prominent role of the automobile in the modern woman’s world.’  Dresses in the Camaro Collection cost between $20 and $40 and were available in 450 shops across the country.”  On a thread at camaropacecars.com, member “Bluetoppace” stated, “Fashion Goes Motoring was a program that started in January 1967 and ended in mid February with a Camaro to be given away.” (http://camaropacecars.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2510094833/m/2330062215/p/1)

A picture with three women wearing some of the fashions appeared on page 30 of the Tuesday, February 28, 1967 edition of The Times, which was a newspaper from Munster, Indiana.   Under the picture the copy states, “CHEVY CAMARO FASHIONS—A ‘Camaro Collection’ of stylish and practical new fashions for motoring, inspired by the sporty addition to Chevrolet’s car family for 1967, is a special feature in the division’s passenger car exhibit at the Chicago Auto Show.  The dresses are modeled daily throughout the show, held at the International Amphitheater.  Here are three of the dress collection.  Mary Jean Tull (left) wears a bold, bright imported cotton with the ‘tent’ look. Brigitte Leckow (center) models a linen-like weave of rayon and silk with yoke top and notched design.  At right is Linda Hock in a printed Jersey with cowled neckline.

1st picture: close-up of “Fashion Goes Motoring”  (https://www.chicagoautoshow.com/history/#1967

2nd picture: Picture from page 30 of Tuesday, February 28, 1967 edition of The Times (courtesy of The Supercar Registry member ‘PeteLeathersac’)

3rd picture: Color Vogue 1 (http://pilotcarregistry.com/rare-vintage-photos.html)

4th picture: Color Vogue 4 (http://pilotcarregistry.com/rare-vintage-photos.html)
Scott

SMKZ28

• View Profile
February/March 1967, Chicago, Illinois, continued

A brochure/binder was produced to explain the Camaro Collection.  camaropacecars.com member “Bluetoppace” posted these three pictures of the brochure/binder here: (http://camaropacecars.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2510094833/m/2330062215/p/1)

1st picture: front covers:
2nd picture: inside:
3rd picture: back cover:
Scott

SMKZ28

• View Profile

Here are more pictures of Camaro Collection

Bother pictures are from here (http://pilotcarregistry.com/rare-vintage-photos.html)
Scott

SMKZ28

• View Profile

Here are more pictures of Camaro Collection

1st picture: B&W Lamm page 27
2nd picture: B&W Witzenburg page 41
Scott

SMKZ28

• View Profile

A few more of the Camaro Collection from http://pilotcarregistry.com/rare-vintage-photos.html
Scott

SMKZ28

• View Profile

Apparently the Camaro Collection even made it into one of the premiere women’s fashion magazines.  In the first picture you can see a mall display with a sign above the Camaro RS/SS 350 convertible that states, “Fashion Goes Motoring David Crystal’s Camaro Inspired Fashions as seen in Vogue.”  The light blue outfit on the blonde mannequin on the right of the picture appears to be the same outfit that appears on the cover model, Evelyn Kuhn, on the January 15, 1967 edition of Vogue Magazine.  The title page caption for the cover confirms that it was an outfit made by David Crystal.  The website that posted the cover and title page also posted about 30 pages of the issue but they didn’t post anything else concerning the Camaro Fashion Collection.  Perhaps it was in the January 15, 1967 issue but just not scanned.

1st picture: Women’s Fashion Display with Camaro Convertible 1a: http://pilotcarregistry.com/rare-vintage-photos.html   

2nd picture: Vogue Cover: http://ciaovogue.blogspot.com/search?q=January+1967 

3rd picture (Vogue Title Page):  http://ciaovogue.blogspot.com/search?q=January+1967 
Scott

SMKZ28

• View Profile
March 9-18, 1967, Melbourne, Australia

The next public Auto Show where I have found information on Camaro inclusion occurred thousands of miles away from the United States at the 33rd Melbourne International Motor Show.  This event took place Thursday, March 9th through Saturday, March 18th, 1967 at the Royal Exhibition Building in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.  An ad for Preston Motors, inside the 1967 Melbourne Motor Show Guide Magazine seems to imply that there was at least one Camaro on display at “GMH Stand 18-21.”  “GMH” stands for General Motors Holden, which was the Australian division of General Motors.  The headline of the ad states, “Show stealers & Preston Motors have them all!”  Underneath are pictures of a Chevrolet Impala, a Buick Electra and a Camaro SS sport coupe with rally wheels.  To the right of the Camaro is the following caption, "CAMARO  Imported direct from the U.S.A.  All the fire of a sports car with the luxury of a prestige sedan.  An exhilarating car with famous Chevrolet desirability.”  In addition, two images of a Camaro RS/SS sport coupe appear in an ad from the Tuesday, March 7, 1967 edition of The Age, a Melbourne newspaper.  “Try exciting new Chevrolet Camaro” appears next to the larger image at the top while the headline of the ad announces, “See the Preston Motors line-up: the stars of the 1967 Motor Show! The ad copy states, “Wait no longer!  The Car of the Year has arrived . . . the swift, sleek Chevrolet Camaro!  Now in Melbourne and exclusive to Preston Motors, Chevrolet's exciting new Camaro, the luxury sports car that has taken America by storm! This car has everything you ever dreamed of.  It is undoubtedly Chevrolet's greatest achievement!  Be sure to see it at Stand 7.”

Since this ad says “Stand 7” and the other one says “Stand 18-21” Preston Motors might have had two different displays with at least two different Camaros.  Interestingly, Preston Motors is still in the business of selling cars.  They are now known as The PM Group and have been in business since 1912.

1st picture: Preston Motors Ad from Auto Show Guide: (https://www.flickr.com/photos/aussiefordadverts/5407645778/in/photostream)

2nd/3rd picture: Preston Motors Ad from newspaper (https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/122077670/)

4th picture: Ad for the 1967 Motor Show features the line "See exotic 295 h.p. Chevrolet Camaro"
« Last Edit: April 08, 2023, 09:31:56 PM by SMKZ28 »
Scott

SMKZ28

• View Profile
1967, Australia

The Camaro might have been “exclusive” to Preston Motors in Melbourne at the time the March 7, 1967 newspaper ad came out but a magazine ad demonstrates that Bill Patterson Motors in Ringwood, Victoria, Australia soon also began importing and converting Camaros to right hand drive.  Bill Patterson not only owned this dealership but he was also a successful race car driver and race team owner.  Apparently, Ringwood is a suburb of Melbourne, so in 1967 you could get an imported Camaro from two different dealerships in the greater Melbourne area.

If you look closely at these Australian ads you will notice that the steering wheel is on the right side.  Regularly produced Camaros could not be sold in Australia.  According to Team Camaro web site member, “BlackoutSteve” from Melbourne, Australia, “Pontiacs and Chevrolets that were sold new here (Australian Delivery) were shipped as partially completed, complete from only the firewall back, and were then assembled at their destination by GM Holden, or a separate company commissioned by GMH.  GMH assembled the Australian delivery vehicles that were exported from Canada and were sold here as brand-new in GMH show-rooms.” (http://www.camaros.net/forums/66-whats-worth/163871-rhd-67-camaro.html)  A sentence posted in the foreign Camaro section of The Camaro Research Group web site seems to contradict this notion when it states, “there were no 67-69 Camaros exported by GM to Australia (due to the right-hand drive requirements), but a few were imported and converted by private companies.”  (http://www.camaros.org/foreign.shtml)

If anyone here is from Australia or has further information about the importation process, the dealerships mentioned above, or the 1967 Camaro participation in Australian Motor Shows, please share.  Thanks! 

Picture: Bill Patterson Camaro Magazine Ad (https://www.flickr.com/photos/aussie-car-adverts/9173220515/in/album-72157664156363661/)

2nd/3rd/4th pictures: newspapers com
« Last Edit: April 08, 2023, 09:46:13 PM by SMKZ28 »
Scott

SMKZ28

• View Profile
March 1967, Palm Springs, California

Earlier in this thread I mentioned that a Camaro Cutaway car display appeared at an Illinois dealership called Clark-Maple Chevrolet in May 1967.  Apparently this display was part of something called the Chevrolet Motorevue Show which must have traveled around visiting Chevrolet dealerships across the country.  Over the weekend of March 11/12, 1967 it visited Stack Chevrolet in Palm Springs, California. Page 10 of the Saturday, March 11, 1967 edition of The Desert Sun, a Palm Springs, California newspaper, proclaims “See Chevrolet's 1967 MOTOREVUE EXHIBITS DISPLAYS Thru Sunday March 12th SHOW * Engineering features of Chevrolet's bright new Camaro will be displayed here thru March 12th in a Chevrolet Motorevue Show at Stack Chevrolet.  A special Camaro display has been constructed with a large cut-away section revealing the chassis, power train and other mechanical components. These also have sections cut out of them to demonstrate their workings in action. Also included in the show are working exhibits explaining the operations of mechanical, convenience and safety features in a new Chevrolet.  A brake safety unit allows show visitors to test reaction time and stopping distances at various speeds.  A power steering unit allows visitors to compare power steering with standard steering. Stars of the show, appearing in individual settings, will be models from the six Chevrolet car lines . . . Chevrolet, Camaro, Chevelle, Chevy II, Corvair and Corvette.  D. C. Stack, of Stack Chevrolet sponsor of the Chevrolet Motorevue, said he feels this is one of the most popular auto display attractions in the nation and has drawn millions of visitors in its travels. ‘We expect to have a full house while it is here and I'm sure every visitor will find it worthwhile,’ he said.”   https://cdnc.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/cdnc?a=d&d=DS19670311.2.86.2&srpos=1&e=01-09-1966-31-12-1967--en--20--1--txt-txIN-auto+show+camaro-------1

This is yet another example of why I believe that there must have been more than one Camaro Cutaway car.  If there were two Cinespheres traveling to fairs and parking lots, it stands to reason that there would also be at least two Motorevue Exhibits traveling to Chevrolet dealerships.  As the ad said, these Motorevue Exhibits prominently featured a Camaro Cutaway display. 
Scott

SMKZ28

• View Profile
April/May 1967, Switzerland

While not a public Auto Show, the Camaro Tour de Suisse was a unique promotional event for the Camaro.  Starting on Saturday, April 1, 1967 and continuing for eight successive weekends, five “conspicuously decorated Camaros” traveled to major events and cities throughout Switzerland promoting the new Chevrolet Camaro.  A two page article from the July/August 1967 issue of General Motors World Export Factory Magazine gives an explanation of the event.

1st picture: 1st page of article: (courtesy of CRG Coordinator “KurtS” http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=7910.0)

2nd picture: 2nd page of article: (courtesy of CRG Coordinator “KurtS” http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=7910.0)
Scott

SMKZ28

• View Profile
April/May 1967, Switzerland continued

The picture from the article shows that each Camaro sport coupe had an offset white stripe running over the hood, roof and presumably on the trunk lid.  They also had white decals/stickers on their front fenders, header panel, and doors.  Notice that the Camaros have both the round parking lots in the grill and the square parking lights in the valence.  They also have a unique triangular badge on the grill.  According to the Camaro Research Group, “cars that were assembled by the Bienne plant received a unique emblem on the grille representing the Eiger, Monch and Jungfrau peaks and bearing the words ‘General Motors Montage Suisse’ - Montage Suisse meaning ‘Made In Switzerland.’  The appearance of this emblem proves that these five were part of the “just over 200” Camaros produced in Switzerland for the 1967 model year. (http://www.camaros.org/foreign.shtml)

1st picture: Enlarged picture of 5 Camaros (http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=7910.0)

2nd picture: Picture of front of red 1967 Swiss Camaro (courtesy of CRG member “Tom76” http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=16053.0)

3rd picture: Grill Badge (http://www.camaros.org/foreign.shtml)
Scott

SMKZ28

• View Profile
April 1967, New York, New York

The next public Auto Show where I have found information on Camaro participation is the 11th Annual International Automobile Show.  This prestigious event took place Saturday, April 1st through Sunday, April 9th, 1967 at the New York Coliseum in New York, New York.  While this large Auto Show undoubtedly featured multiple standard and SS model Camaro convertibles and sport coupes for people to view and sit in, the only images I could find feature special Camaro “Dream” cars.  The pearl yellow Camaro Californian appeared without the matching Golden Cameo and trailer it was shown with at previous events.  Why this is the case I’m not sure.  This is also the first Auto Show where I can find positive visual documentation of a Z28 in a Chevrolet display.  (UPDATE: Since I wrote this, images have come to light that prove the same Z28 was also at the earlier Chicago Auto Show.)

1st picture: Program Cover (www.ebay.com)

2nd picture: Californian and Z28:  The metadata for this photo states, “1967 New York Auto Show UNITED STATES - APRIL 05: 1967 New York Auto Show. A 350 Chevrolet Camaro SS hardtop on display at the New York Auto Show. (Photo by Bob D'Olivo/The Enthusiast Network/Getty Images)” https://www.gettyimages.com/license/163091840

3rd picture: Californian, Z28 and Cherokee:  On a different CRG thread Jon Mello said, “I believe it is the 15th Z-28 built, a very early car. Never knew they had D-spoke Americans and Firestone racing tires on it.” The metadata for this image states, “1967 New York Auto Show UNITED STATES - APRIL 05: 1967 New York Auto Show. A variety of Chevrolet Camaro's on display at the New York Auto Show. (Photo by Bob D'Olivo/The Enthusiast Network/Getty Images)” https://www.gettyimages.com/license/163091838

4th picture: Rear of Z28: While I’m not positive, this picture was most likely taken at the Auto Show in New York because the color of the car is the same, the license plate matches the above picture, and the car is sitting on a floor/ramp that looks to be the same as in the above photos.  Regarding this picture in another thread, CRG member Jon Mellow stated “here's the only other Auto Show '67 Z-28 photo I have seen to date. No RS pinstripe on the side, stripes on rear go up too high for the car to have a vinyl top and there are no rear bumper guards like on the Press Preview Z. Also, the rear spoiler is not flat across the back like that car either and has a unique cut-out shape around the emblem on the decklid. This is Z-28 #15 off the production line for the Central Office Show Program.” (courtesy of CRG Member Jon Mello)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 05:54:36 PM by SMKZ28 »
Scott

SMKZ28

• View Profile
April 1967, New York, New York continued

The Auto Show in New York is also the first time the special Camaro convertible “Dream” car with the clear Plexiglas hood was given the name Cherokee.  This time the name is not written in cursive and the license plate can be easily read.  It clearly says “Camaro Cherokee.”  Additionally, a couple of newspaper articles covering the Auto Show refer to it by this name.  One of these articles appeared on page 19 of the Monday, April 3, 1967 edition of The News Journal, a newspaper from Wilmington, Delaware.  Talking about concept cars, it stated that “on the main exhibition floors are the Toronado XX, the Firebird Skydiver, the Camaro Cherokee, LeGrand Marquis Mercury, Barracuda Formula SX, all U.S. styling and design ideas that aren't showroom models yet but someday may be.”  A picture of the Cherokee and the Californian at the Auto Show in New York is located on page 35 of the Tuesday, April 4, 1967 edition of The News Journal.  The caption states, “Camaro Swingers – Models Jackie De Maria and Nancy Townshend climb into a Chevrolet Camaro Cherokee design styling-prototype Saturday at the International Automobile Show in New York City.  Car and models are typical of the automakers’ appeal to youth.”

1st picture:  Cherokee and Californian: (pg. 35 of Tuesday, April 4, 1967 edition of The News Journal from Wilmington, Delaware (courtesy of The Supercar Registry member ‘PeteLeathersac’ at www.yenko.net)

2nd picture: Cherokee: The metadata for this picture incorrectly identifies this as just an SS when it states, “1967 New York Auto Show UNITED STATES - APRIL 05: 1967 New York Auto Show. A Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible on display at the New York Auto Show. (Photo by Bob D'Olivo/The Enthusiast Network/Getty Images)” https://www.gettyimages.com/license/163091839 (courtesy of The Supercar Registry member 'PeteLeathersac' at www.yenko.net)

3rd picture: License plate close up “Camaro cherokee”
Scott

anything