CRG Discussion Forum

Camaro Research Group Discussion => Restoration => Topic started by: BillOhio on September 30, 2026, 10:08:26 PM

Title: restoring hood hinges
Post by: BillOhio on September 30, 2026, 10:08:26 PM
Hi guys.  I have a set of hood hinges I want to phophate.  They were painted and I found a foil pan at dollar general that I soaked them in.  Was not the best fit but worked.  I was wondering if anyone found anything big to heat them up in for the phosphate?  I read where someone used an old stainless sink and would like to get them done quicker than looking for an old sink. 
Thanks
Title: Re: restoring hood hinges
Post by: BillOhio on September 30, 2026, 10:16:41 PM
I do see lowes has a $62 single bowl stainless sink.  Cheaper than pots! It may have some insulation under it but may be worth a look
Title: Re: restoring hood hinges
Post by: bcmiller on October 01, 2026, 07:04:17 AM
Check FB Marketplace or one of the Habitat for Humanity ReStore locations.
Title: Re: restoring hood hinges
Post by: Petes L48 on October 01, 2026, 10:30:31 AM
I used an old stainless food service tray/pan I had laying around, the type you see in a cafeteria food line. But buying one new would be costly. Porcelain coated pots or pans will also work, if you can find one large enough.   
Title: Re: restoring hood hinges
Post by: 169INDY on October 01, 2026, 07:56:27 PM
I used a Old Omegasonic SS Sink, now that I think about it would a Large diameter Plastic Tube with on end capped and submerge them collapsed. Just a hair brain thought not sure
Title: Re: restoring hood hinges
Post by: BillOhio on October 02, 2026, 05:36:18 PM
I secured a sink and a single basin will hold a hood hinge.  I bought a lpg burner off amazon for under $40 and will see how this works.  My grill is wood pellets so I may see if dad notices his grill tank is missing!!