Author Topic: rubber or polygraphite bushings???  (Read 10187 times)

nlpirr

• View Profile
rubber or polygraphite bushings???
« on: August 21, 2006, 06:17:56 PM »
Im about to replace the bushings on my 69 camaro's front end.

I know the graphite is an upgrade and has drawbacks in terms of squeek, but will the stiffness help with the overall handling once I replace the other suspension components in the future??

also, does the squeeking eventully go away as the bushings "break in" over time?

any help will be great.

np

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
Re: rubber or polygraphite bushings???
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 01:11:43 AM »
I used Energy Suspension urethane bushings throughout - sub frame, sway bar, end links - no problems - no squeaks.  They are graphite impregnated and if you grease them when installing so much the better.  Definitely recommend the urethane over rubber.

When I purchased the bushings, I purchased a complete kit for the car - front and rear.  Hopefully this winter I'll get the rear finished up.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 01:14:07 AM by rich69rs »
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 04:40:47 AM »
I used Energy Suspension urethane bushings throughout, too--including the rear spring pads and all shock bushings. My A-frame bushings squeak but the engine is not back in the car yet, and they will "settle in" after the car gets the full weight back on the front end and it's driven for a bit. Squeak or not, urethane beats rubber hands-down in my opinion because it won't dry-rot and eliminates virtually all the deflection that rubber bushings have even when new. The car will ride a bit more stiff, but Camaros never rode like a 98 Olds anyway. Unless it's a by-the-book restoration, I vote for urethane. My 2 cents.
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

RJ_RS_SS_350

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 05:40:04 AM »
My understanding is that polygraphite is a polyurethane impregnated with graphite - the graphite's purpose is to reduce or eliminate the squeak. So you should be getting the best of both worlds.  :)

69SSL48

• Canadian Documented 69SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 04:44:06 AM »
I used Energy Suspension urethane bushings throughout, too. Much better ride and handling............just my 2 pennies   :)
69 SS Camaro , L48 option, X55,  350/300HP, #'s Matching, 2nd Owner,
Deep Blue Interior, Factory Console 8 Track Player,  GM Documented, 

originally from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

RamAirDave

• View Profile
    • TheMuscleCarGuys.com
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 05:16:28 AM »
Ive used the PST Polygraphite on 8-10 cars (estimate).  Theyve been fine, no noise at all.  I have heard that they start to make noise 5 years or so down the road, but I cant testify to that.  My own car is around 5 years since the rebuild, and no noise.

Polyurethane tends to squeak more.  Ive only done one with it, and it was very noisy.  That was years ago, so it may be better by now.
"Build them how the designers and engineers envisioned them to be"

www.TheMuscleCarGuys.com

nlpirr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 08:33:32 PM »
thanks for all the information..I'll go with the polygraphite for sure.

nick p.

anything