Author Topic: Reproduction Endura Bumpers are horrible  (Read 33009 times)

lynnbilodeau

• View Profile
Re: Reproduction Endura Bumpers are horrible
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2012, 04:55:21 PM »
Bought Steve's bumper (thanks Steve).  Will compare side by side once I get it, and do a little tutorial mayby showing how the repro brackets need modified if it isn't too extensive.

Lynn

lynnbilodeau

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2012, 02:47:51 PM »
Well, I compared Steve's bumber with the original brackets to my repop.  Night and day.  Of course.  BTW, Steve's is even nicer than described.

The biggest problem with the repop in my opinion is that it doesn't wrap far enough around the fender extensions.  You can't make if perfect.

However, it appears a very simple mod (if you can weld) to the inner brackets will at least make it fit OK for a driver quality car.
I do not have time right now, but will post up comparison pics and then some before and after pics when I modify the repop inner brackets to make them at least functional.  Plan to do that before selling the bumper.

lynnbilodeau

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2012, 01:23:49 AM »
OK.  Here are pics of the original brackets and the repops side by side.
As you can see, I modified the repops so that they will at least be a functional fit.
I didn't worry about the cosmetic aspect.  Sandblasted and painted black, no one will ever know once installed because they are pretty burried.
They should work fine.
The pics show the progression of the modification.  One odd cut, bend to match the factory brackets, cut and place a small piece of 1/2 by 1/8 steel to fit the void, weld it in and grind the welds down.  Normally wouldn't have to grind so much, but having issues with the voltage setting on the welder.
Can only post a few pics at a time, so more pics follow.

lynnbilodeau

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2012, 01:24:56 AM »
More:

lynnbilodeau

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2012, 01:28:30 AM »
And again:

lynnbilodeau

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2012, 01:29:19 AM »
Again:

lynnbilodeau

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2012, 01:31:39 AM »
Sorry for the blurry ones.

lynnbilodeau

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2012, 01:32:25 AM »
Last two:

427-KING

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2012, 01:45:01 AM »
Lynn, thanks for posting these pics etc . I have to tackle putting one on tommorrow AM and im sure your pics will come in handy.

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2012, 02:33:10 AM »
Looks good Lynn. Are you taking measurements as you go or would it be one of those jobs you just have to play with it as you go to get it right?
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

z28z11

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2012, 04:05:27 AM »
Lynn,

I had no idea the repop brackets were so far off. No wonder people complain about the repop bumper - no way you could make it work with so big a difference in mounting datums/locations. Thanks for showing these to everyone.

I'm slightly embarassed that the originals didn't get cleaned up before shipping. The part number on top of the one bracket surface is a nice detail that people should notice - they really don't say RH or LH like the repops -

Regards,
Steve
1968 Z28 M21/U17 BRG/W 1967 Chevy ll Nova SS 
1969 Z28 X77/M20/VE3 LeMans/W
1969 L78 X66/N66 Cortez/BVT
1969 Z11 L48/M35/C60/C06  1949 3100 5wd 235/6

crobjones2

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2012, 04:30:08 AM »
does anyone repair the originals? my bumper has a tear.
Chris
69 SS 350

lynnbilodeau

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2012, 06:24:56 AM »
Lynn,

I had no idea the repop brackets were so far off. No wonder people complain about the repop bumper - no way you could make it work with so big a difference in mounting datums/locations. Thanks for showing these to everyone.

I'm slightly embarassed that the originals didn't get cleaned up before shipping. The part number on top of the one bracket surface is a nice detail that people should notice - they really don't say RH or LH like the repops -

Regards,
Steve

No problem Steve.  I was thrilled when I received your bumper.  It was much nicer than described and better than the pics made it look.  I plan to blast the brackets with fine sand so the numbers will still show.  It will be about 2 minutes of work, and I am blasting a few other things this week anyway.

lynnbilodeau

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2012, 06:30:29 AM »
Looks good Lynn. Are you taking measurements as you go or would it be one of those jobs you just have to play with it as you go to get it right?

I did not measure since I had those originals to compare as I went along.  For some of the comparison I was able to use the opposite side bracket as a mirrror image.

I do have an inclinometer out in the garage somewhere, and will get a precise measurement of the angle for anyone wanting to do this job.  I think that angle is the most critical, and obviously what is missing on the repop brackets.

If you make the cut pretty close to where I made it in the pics, then you will just need to bend so the spread at the top is just over 1/2 inch.  Of course, I realize if you make the cut with a wheel or cut off saw, then your initial gap will be bigger.  I used a hack saw.  So... just to make sure everyone else can get it right without having an original to go by, I will post the finished angle.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2012, 08:39:20 AM »
The holes in the repro brackets don't appear to be in the same position. Hopefully they are close enough.....
Kurt S
CRG