Author Topic: DSE solid subframe mounts - stock bolts too short !  (Read 4358 times)

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
DSE solid subframe mounts - stock bolts too short !
« on: August 17, 2012, 06:16:11 PM »
I just received my order of DSE solid aluminum subframe bushings. The stainless steel washers that are supposed to be included in the kit weren't there but that's another story.

I noticed right away that the bottom half of the four main body bushings looked thicker than stock bushings. A few weeks ago, I bought new bushing bolts from AMK. They are the same length as the originals. I wanted to see if the bolts were going to be long enough. My subframe is not here right now...... I sandwiched the upper and lower halves of the bushings together, put the new bolt through them, and bolted them to the car. I tightened them finger tight and then backed them out enough to compensate for the thickness of the subframe and the washers that were missing from the kit.

The bolts under the seat don't engage the caged nut all the way. About a quarter inch of thread is exposed on the inside of the nut that the bolt doesn't fill. The bolts at the firewall almost engage the threads on the nut all the way but not quite. I have a reproduction floor by the way. The mounts on the firewall are original.

I have to return the bushings anyhow because the washers are missing. I guess my choices are to have them send me another set of the same and get some longer bolts or try a different brand of bushings. I am past my "returnable" period on the AMK bolts. I hate to waste $40 they cost but not a huge deal if I do.

Has any one run into this problem? ......I called DSE and they said the stock length bolts should work and that they had not run into this problem.

77thor

• View Profile
Re: DSE solid subframe mounts - stock bolts too short !
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 11:19:44 PM »
I bought and installed the Global West InterLoc solid aluminum body mounts.
The kit came with all new hardware; bolts and washers. No issues at all.
1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build
1977 Camaro, 350(LM1), M20, 10 Bolt Posi, Purchased New, (SOLD)

Paul68RS/Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 11:28:59 PM »
X2

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 12:50:40 AM »
What's the purpose or benefit of solid bushings? Not trying to side track the thread just curious.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

Paul68RS/Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 02:06:42 PM »
Being that this is the restoration section, it may be more appropriate in the "mild modification" section, but in my opinion, the benefit of the solids is the tighter frame, especially when combined with frame connectors.  Another good site is Team Camaro, there are lots of posts on the pro's and con's of solids. Again, my opinion, made a huge difference in the handling of my car, but would never use them on my original Z28.

What's the purpose or benefit of solid bushings? Not trying to side track the thread just curious.

Everett#2390

• ^Bess
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 01:05:54 AM »
I used Moroso's bushing kit, only has the upper bushings, six each, and used stock bolts and washers and had no problem.
As said, tighter feel, especially with frame connectors.
A flashlight is a case for dead batteries.

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 02:26:03 AM »
Thanks to everyone for their input......I might return them and go with the Global West.

Dave