Author Topic: Which fan type  (Read 8900 times)

mickeystoys69RSSS

• View Profile
Which fan type
« on: August 13, 2012, 06:59:06 PM »
My car is an original engine with an aftermarket AC added. With the A/C upgrade I am having some cooling issues. I have a non original 4 core straight neck radiator , but the non-A/C big blocks came with a four blade fan. My car still has the origional four blade fan. My temp guage is one mark below half while driving down the roadway, but I began to experience slight overheating driving throught the parking lot at the local cruise in. The needle on the temp gauge went to past 3/4 but not quite in the red zone. I am thinking I need to upgrade to a seven blade clutch fan like the origional A/C cars had. My question is should I go with a clutch 7 blade, or since the A/C is added do you think electric fans would cool better? I am also considering a 160 deg. thermostat.  I am undecided so I welcome your opinions.  Any idea what the actual temps are with the marks on the temp gauge?

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
Re: Which fan type
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 09:27:33 PM »
A couple of years ago, I was having the same problem with my '69 RS, base 327, non-AC car.  When I rebuilt the engine, did a few minor tweaks, and the 4 blade fan just couldn't provide enough air flow in slow traffic or long idle situation.

Changed to the 7 blade fan and clutch and the problem was solved.  I have the standard, non-AC radiator.

Just this past weekend, Hot August Nights in Reno, participated in the cruises and no issues. Abient air temps during the day were in the low 100's.

If you aren't hung up on maintaining the original 4 blade fan, the 7 blade fan and a clutch would be my suggestion - also be sure you have the shroud properly installed.  I believe your AC equipped car should also have a sealing strip between the top of the core support and the radiator to reduce leakage around the radiator.
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 09:30:36 PM »
Mickey first off the thermostat has nothing to do with over heating. It's all the way open before it ever gets hot enough to worry about and opening sooner will only make your heater blow cold. Second electric fans, to me, aren't worth the trouble. You have no volume of air flow except at idle. I would put the 7 blade clutch setup on it like came on them from the factory.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

NoYenko

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 10:50:09 PM »
Mickey, I had a similar problem this weekend with my Chevelle, same fan & clutch setup. My original fan clutch failed 2 years ago so I bought a replacement at NAPA, worked great. I wanted to get my car judged last year and bought what was supposed to be "assembly line correct" reproduction. It wasn't exactly like my original but close. I drove the car in 80 degree weather and it ran hot 210. Put the NAPA clutch back on and it ran 190. It really bothers me to pay 3X auto parts store price for a part that doesn't work. George

joesauer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 05:04:35 PM »
Ditto on the 7 blade clutch fan & 180 degree thermostat.  The factory cooling system is over engineered & should handle your ac, with a 7 blade & good quality radiator.  I switched to electric fans a few years ago, and am about to go back to the factory setup.  Electric is ok, but don't like the on/off cycles & higher temps just before the fans kick in.  If you do a lot of crusing in higher temp. locations, maybe can add an aux pusher electric fan with a manual on/off switch.

mickeystoys69RSSS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 06:16:42 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I was leaning towards the 7 blade fan anyway for the original look. I just wanted to make sure it would get the job done in the FL summers. I can just keep the origional four blade on the shelf.  Anyone know what the acutal temps are that the temp gauge marks show?

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 06:29:50 PM »
Mickey you might get an idea of what you are working with in this thread. IDK if it help you or not.  If not try an advance search.

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=9261.0
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 08:13:56 PM »
Just go to Harbour Freight and get a temp gun for 29 or 39 bucks. Shoot your engine and look at the gauge. You would be surprised how many factory units are way off. A friends car showed 220 but the gun said 190.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

mickeystoys69RSSS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 05:02:01 PM »
Going back to this topic I started a while ago, I am going to upgrade my standard 4 blade fan to a 7 blade. But since the PO added the Vintage A/C system and an unidentified 4 core radiator I am not sure if the new fan and added clutch with fit with the clearance. With the pulleys added on the water pump to accomodate the aftermarket A/C compressor I have 3.5" of clearance between the radiator and the mounting of the pulley where the four blade fan is currently mounted without the spacer. With that dimension will the new 7 blade and clutch fit?

The first photo shows the pulley added at the water pump. The second shows the clearance between the fan and radiator. As you can see the current clearance that I have is without the spacer between the four blade fan and the water pump.

I am thinking that because the spacer is missing that I will have the clearance to add the clutch type fan without changing the current pulley setup I have on the water pump to run the aftermarket Vinatage A/C compressor.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 06:13:36 PM by mickeystoys69RSSS »

NoYenko

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 09:18:04 PM »
Mickey, I measured from the water pump pulley to the front of the fan clutch, the clutch is closer to the radiator than the blade. 2-7/8" so it should work for you. George

mickeystoys69RSSS

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 12:02:44 AM »
Thanks George that is what I was looking for. The one I am looking at ordering from Heartbeat City shows that is the same as the original part number 3946050 so it should be the same dimension.