Author Topic: Can anyone decode 1969 RS/SS ?  (Read 9594 times)

heaths69camaro

• View Profile
Can anyone decode 1969 RS/SS ?
« on: July 20, 2006, 08:12:50 PM »
I am trying to determine if the 1969 Camaro I bought is a true RS/SS as it was advertised.  The VN is 124379L512641, which tells me that the car was assembled in Los Angeles and that it’s a V-8 Car.  I don’t have the original engine.  The car has an original TH350 transmission and 12 bolt rear end.  I have hideaway headlights which tells me that it’s at least an RS.  I have front disk brakes and rear drums, which from what I know tells me little.  Also, I had an SS simulated velocity stack hood when I purchased the car, but that is an easy bolt on.  The car has no special gauge package and the TRM is 711 standard, paint code of 5757 fathom green.  I am now trying to determine if the car is an LM1 non SS car or L48 SS car.   CRG notes that it is easy to clone a SS L48 1969 car, so I am a little concerned. Can anyone help?  If I can’t be sure it’s a true RS/SS car should I replace the current SS emblems with RS if I were to sell the car?  How should I market the car?   

Thanks   

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone decode 1969 RS/SS ?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 11:07:27 PM »
As far as the 1969 RS side of it goes --- the differences are many - the RS variations from the  "standard body" include:

different outer fenders, different inner fenders, different grille, hideaway headlights (based on vacuum actuated, articulating, headlight mounting bracket to rotate the headlight covers in and back in the open position), inner and outer headlight door covers, vacuum cannisters, mounting brackets for the vacuum cannisters, vacuum reservoir, relay valve and the associated vacuum lines, different headlight switch with vacuum hose connections, different windshield wiper switch (2 dentent positions, first detent routes water to the windshield washer nozzles, second detent routes water to the headlight washer nozzles which spray water on the headlights), headlight washer nozzles, diverter valve on the windshield washer pump, water tubing from the diverter valve to the headlight washers, and even a difference in the front header panel to accomodate the headlight washers themselves, bracket that holds the windshield washer bottle - it is physically different on a RS and is located on the passenger side.  And this doesn't include the Style Trim RPO items that are a part of RPO Z22, the RS package.

Richard Thomas
1969 RS

heaths69camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 03:57:22 PM »
Thanks for the reply Richard, but what I am really trying to confirm is if the car has both packages.  I am almost certain that it's got the RS package, unless someone took the time to install the hideaway headlight package, which I doubt at this point.  I will check the rest of the RS features that you mentioned to confirm........... 

If only I had the original engine, this would help to nail down some unanswered questions.  Do you know how to find out what engine the car originally had?  Can anyone help?

Cheers!

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 05:56:28 PM »
Without documentation, or the original engine with the partial VIN stamped on it, I am not aware of any way to pin it down exactly if multiple engines were a possibility.  Hopefully you will be able to find something to show a L48 car.

CRG has documented SS and the various drivetrain variantations at  http://www.camaros.org/diffs69.shtml  You didn't mention rear springs - does your ride have multi-leaf rear springs?  Being a 12 bolt I am assuming that it does - which would be consistent for SS.

For Los Angeles 69 Camaro production, the last VIN # produced in November 68 was #510583 and for December 68 was #513816  (http://www.camaros.org/geninfo.shtml#HowMany).  Your VIN # 124379L512641falls in between which would indicate Dec 1968 build.  What is the body build date on your cowl tag? 

Reason I ask is that if it turns out that your ride is a non-SS car, you may have to further evaluate the situation based on the fact that at the end of 1968, two non SS V8 engine changeovers occured:  LF7 to L14 (327 to 307 base variant) and LM1 to L65 (4 Bbl 350 to 2 Bbl 350).  The timing of both of these engine changeovers are open CRG items of interest. 

An issue fo Chevrolet Service News from early 1969 indicates that the changeover from LM1 to L65 was to occur during Jan 69, but nothing definitive as to exact timing.  As far as the changeover in base V8 engines, it is hard to find any LF7's being built after Dec 1968.  In a previous request that I made to CRG regarding LF7 to L14 changeover, the data indicates that there are numerous L14s from 01A, 01B, 01C in the CRG database.  The last documented LF7 the CRG has is 12C, along with a couple of undocumented LF7s from 12D. 

« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 09:52:34 PM by rich69rs »
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

heaths69camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 04:37:41 PM »
Thanks Rich, this is my cowl tag

ST 69 12437 VN211242 BDY
TR 711    5757           PNT
12B         J016

Not sure if I had multi leaf springs or not.  I replaced the original springs a couple years ago.  I will research this and get back to you.

Thank for your assistance.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 04:38:26 AM »
Did you see http://www.camaros.org/lm1.shtml? I list some thing to check.

What's the axle code?
Kurt S
CRG

anything