Author Topic: Paint gun....choosing the right one.  (Read 6019 times)

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
Paint gun....choosing the right one.
« on: August 07, 2012, 03:12:56 PM »
I need some recomendations for picking out a paint gun. This is a first time project for me...... I have never used a paint gun before and I am learning from square one on how to do this...... My main goal with this gun is to primer bunches of small parts for my '68. Suspension components, all sorts of brackets, brake calipers, engine pulleys, etc. Most of the things I would be painting would not be more than a foot long. I may try doing some top coating of these parts with this gun too.

My compressor is a 33 gallon, 150 HP max, 5.1 SCFM at 90 PSI, 6.3 SCFM at 40 psi.

I want to use PPG DP90 primer. I have not bought any paint yet but I have the instruction sheet for the DP90. It calls for a fluid tip of 1.4 mm to 1.6 mm and 8-10 PSI at the cap for an HVLP gun or 40-50 PSI at the gun for a conventional gun.

I've been told that you can spray this primer with an inexpensive gun. I have looked at guns at Harbor Freight and other places but most say the require 10 or more SCFM.

So my question is.....am I out for luck being able to spray this primer using this compressor or is there a gun out there that will work with it and do the trick.

Thanks.....Dave

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
Re: Paint gun....choosing the right one.
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 05:15:11 PM »
Dave,

Besides having HP and PSI confused, I think you may be 'over thinking' this problem..  :)     I'd think with any HVLP gun, you could spray this primer or just about any paint) with your compressor..   
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 09:07:46 PM »
I see where I goofed and wrote HP instead of PSI after the 150. The compressor is actuially 1.6 HP and 150 max PSI. I am all new to this and trying to figure it all out. I am just going by the numbers. The guns are saying they need so much CFM and this compressor says it dooesn't put out that much. Are these numbers deceptive and not the bottom line on determining what will work with what?

Dave

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 09:42:45 PM »
Just to give an example. I have a 60 gal 6 HP 12 Cfm and I have plenty of air to run anything. But here's my point. I have a regulator on my gun at the handle as most people do. I paint at about 40 to 45 psi. Ofter turn it down if I'm working in confined space.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 09:43:31 PM »
You probably won't be able to use any HVLP gun with only 6.3CFM at 40 psi.  Thats barely enough for a conventional gun.  Might be OK for a primer coat, but not quite enough for a finish coat. You might be able to get it to work for a finish coat assuming a pretty thin paint, (laquer, BC/CC) but your going to need a small gun and you will be pausing alot while painting.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

Hans L

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 03:51:55 AM »
Daven1256 - the paint gun manufactures list the PSI and CFM specs required to operate their specific gun lines.  Here's the DeVilbiss site - select a gun and just go to the tech spec tab and it will list the requirements needed to support the gun:  http://www.autorefinishdevilbiss.com/Division/DeVilbiss.aspx

Hope this helps.
https://www.instagram.com/69camarorsz28/
'69 Camaro RS Z/28 Van Nuys Built
'69 Chevelle SS 396 4 Speed

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 11:51:32 AM »
HVLPs, or any gun, will fall flat on their faces without adequate CFM. If you can get it to spray, the finish will be poor, no matter what the paint's viscosity. PSI and CFM are not to be confused, you need volume. That's why a 3/8" hose and fittings are used in the booth and not 1/4". PPG DPLF is not the same as the better, discontinued DP. For one, LF recommends the use of DX metal treatment or wash primer for adhesion and performance enhancement. People use DPLF without this step, but other epoxies do not call for it. And at the price, DPLF is overkill for suspension components. For the car's exterior, a quality epoxy is best. Everyone has preferences, I use R-M(BASF). U-Tech(Akzo Nobel) is good also. Economy brands such as Transtar and others are used depending on the application.

If you have more paint questions, I'd suggest going to Refinish Network. It's mainly for pros and shop owners but welcomes novices. Car hobby sites have bodyshop forums. But except for a small percentage, most members have no professional experience and the information is often lacking and sometimes incorrect.

BillOhio

• View Profile
    • photobucket
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 03:21:06 PM »
I am no expert but just purchased a gun from Eastwood that is on sale for a couple days. Their concours gun is supposed to work on a home compressor hvlp gun. Primer can be hard on a gun if you use it much so i will use a harbor cheap gun my buddy has. It really puts out material
1969 Z28, Burgandy, numbers matching, 12,900 miles
1968 RS 327 4 speed
1970 Z28 M22 4:10 bought from original owner
1961 Chrysler 300G convertible

anything