Author Topic: Lost my Tail-lights and Dash lights  (Read 13780 times)

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
Lost my Tail-lights and Dash lights
« on: July 28, 2012, 04:07:55 AM »
 I lost my Tail-lights/ Brake lights and my Dash lights in my 67 std. Coupe no extra lighting options added.  I thought it might be the Headlight switch so I replaced that, no change. I can get Tail-lights and Brake lights when I "jumper" across from the Red wire to the Brown wire in the Headlight switch plug.  There is "juice" on both sides of the fuse in the fuse box for the Tail-lights.   No juice going in for the Dash lights.  Any ideas would be much appreciated.  I'm not much at reading schematics.  If there is a colored wiring diagram somewhere that might help?????   Thanks in advance for any advice.   Oh, there rear wiring harness is new, one of the better rated ones, something Electric???
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
Re: Lost my Tail-lights and Dash lights
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 04:14:23 AM »
  My mistake!  The wiring harness is American Autowire.  It fit perfect and has worked great for almost 2 months.
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 05:46:11 AM »
Sounds like you lost the ground screw on the backside of the dash cluster. Could it have vibrated out or loosened up?
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

mopar346

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 01:04:42 PM »
I know on later ones the brake lights run through the turn signal switch, not sure on a 67. The dash light input on the fuse box is based on the headlight switch and reostat, if it was on or the reostat wasn't turned up you would have no power. I would start at the box on the brake light power and trace it until I found the issue, chances are if they went out together they are connect and the brake light circuit is a simpler circuit. As Daniel mentioned grounds are always a good place to start.

Good Luck!

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 09:30:14 PM »
 THANK YOU Daniel !  That's exactly what it was, screw was still there but had loosened up a little.  I found a screw just a little bigger that tightened up better.  And I used a small detail wire brush and cleaned everything up so it would make good contact.  A real pain that so much has to be taken apart to get to it.  Thanks again!

>>>>>mopar346;
    I also appreciate your input.  Bottom line, everythings working.  Thanks!
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 11:44:37 PM »
Now that you've got the contact clean and tight, put a little dielectric grease on it.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 02:15:41 AM »
Great !! Thank God it was something simple and I say that knowing it's bear to get to but at least you didn't have to tear everything apart.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 02:33:03 AM »
  I spoke too soon.  I didn't have it all back together at that point.  After getting it all back together, now I lost it again.
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 11:38:53 PM »
UPDATE:
    Still battling this issue.  Several things have me scratching my head, right off I'll admit I struggle with electrical issues such as this.  But I have a brother and several friends who give me pointers (including here).  I am going to post a pic. of the light switch and plug show the colors of wires. 
    First-- (with continuity tester) I only get juice from the RED terminal-which is the hot wire coming into switch, the PURPLE wire- (with switch pulled half-way) is the front Parking lights, and the Light BLUE (switch pulled all the way) is the Headlights.  No other juice on any of the other terminals in any position. (This is a new switch)
    Second-- I have power on both sides of the Brake light fuse (both going in and coming out) But no power at the plug for the Brake light switch.
    All "keyed" systems seem to work fine. ie; Turn signals, Radio, Heater fan,,,
    Here's what I have figured out from the colored wires;
    RED - HOT power coming in
    WHITE - Dome light
    GREEN - ( I assume it's Dash lights )
    Light BLUE - Headlights
    BROWN - ?Tail-lights?   (I have "jumpered" from RED and from L. BLUE with switch on and got the tail-lights)
    PURPLE - Front Parking lights
    ORANGE - 2 on 1 terminal (not sure what these go to)

I should add that I have been told, (and it appears to be right) that the Dome light (Orange Wire) has juice going to it all the time.  The Door jam switch is in the Ground side of the circuit, which completes the circuit.

Anything advice anyone can add to help in this problem is greatly appreciated.   Thanks!
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

mopar346

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 02:55:23 AM »
Correct on the dome light, constant power, ground supply switch.

Not to state the obvious but if you have a wiring diagram, trace the power from the fuse to the brake light switch.

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 07:24:35 AM »
  The only Wiring diagram I have is from the AIM, not the easiest to follow.  Especially the Instrument panel.  I'm thinking I may need to invest in a COLORED Wiring diagram.
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 09:51:12 AM »
 Well, I'm one step closer.  I figured out tonight that the Light Switch is divided into 2 halves, the Red wire is the HOT wire to the Headlight side, and the Orange wires are the HOT to the Tail-light side.  And the Dash lights work off of the Tail-light side.  If I "jumper" juice from the Red to the Orange everything works.  So now I need to figure out why I don't have "juice" in the Orange wires.
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 11:42:41 PM »
"On the Road Again"!  LOL!
  Some of you are probably going to laugh when I tell you what the problem was.  Rusty terminal where the fuse snapped in, on the out going side.  I didn't realize when I was prodding the test light, what I was actually touching was the end of the Fuse. Not the terminal.  A friend came over who actually knows how to use a Multi-meter and found out there was "juice' in the Orange wires, just not enough to even light the test light.  So he back-tracked it to the "out" terminal in the fuse box.  Thank you all for the suggestions, it did help eliminate possibilities, thus narrowing it down..
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2012, 06:56:17 AM »
  I forgot to add, I heard an interesting theory today when talking to a friend about my dilemma.  He said that GM put the Dash lights and Tail-lights on one circuit purposely, so if you lost your Dash lights you would know you had no Tail-lights.  It's funny if this is true that they didn't make it public knowledge, I had never heard this before.
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2012, 12:21:01 PM »
  I forgot to add, I heard an interesting theory today when talking to a friend about my dilemma.  He said that GM put the Dash lights and Tail-lights on one circuit purposely, so if you lost your Dash lights you would know you had no Tail-lights.  It's funny if this is true that they didn't make it public knowledge, I had never heard this before.

True of most,domestic and foreign, not sure about all. My favorite mechanic calls it "the original idiot light".
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

anything