Author Topic: 1969 AC Hoses original  (Read 4928 times)

NoYenko

• View Profile
1969 AC Hoses original
« on: July 27, 2012, 02:00:59 AM »
I have a 69 396 camaro built in Nov.68 that I'm restoring the AC parts. The car has mostly original parts & hoses. I am trying to duplicate the original style crimps on the hoses like in the pictures below. Has anyone had luck replacing the rubber hoses utilizing the original fittings?
I never knew they were date coded until I cleaned them. I have looked at the reproduction hoses and from the poor pictures on line they don't look quite the same.      I would like to duplicate the factory ferrules & crimps. Below are examples.
The muffler hose support has a spacer between the compressor & support that I am missing, highlighted in photo, that I am looking to find out if that is rubber or steel and if that is a bolt through it. The AIM does not show it but I have seen it on several cars.
The insulation on my bigger hose over the front of the engine is in two pieces and would like to know if it was originally one piece and how long.
I am also looking for a plug wire support that seems unique to the 396 but I have never seen one on a car. Does anyone have that support on their engine or a spare?
The date codes on the hose are about 40 days before the date on the fittings. My muffler hose was replaced at some time it was made May of 69.
Sorry for long post & questions. George

NoYenko

• View Profile
Re: 1969 AC Hoses original
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 02:14:15 AM »
From AIM, missing wire support and date on hose

IZRSSS

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 03:16:03 AM »
George - It's always a safe bet to go with the AIM. In the case of a rubber bushing for the muffler, there isn't one. Also, the bolt in your pic looks awfully long.

I also believe there are two pieces of insulation for the large hose. Each ~7" long.

Springer Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 04:13:50 PM »
Hey Marty, any chance you can post a picture of the lower heater hose where it connects to the core? I'm having a clearance problem and wondering if I have the wrong heater core, thanks Tom

IZRSSS

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 05:16:14 PM »
Tom - This isn't the original core but maybe these pics will help;

IZRSSS

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 05:28:34 PM »

NoYenko

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 06:24:01 PM »
Marty, Nice pictures. I think Tom is looking for a picture of the heater hoses where they connect at the firewall.
The bushing I am looking for I have seen on probably 6 original 396 with AC cars, but only pictures not a car I could talk to the owner about.
I go by the AIM in most cases, but in this case I am not sure.
George

IZRSSS

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 07:13:41 PM »
Let's try these. Tough place for a pic but maybe they'll help.

Springer Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 09:02:09 PM »
Hey Marty, thanks for the pictures.Just what I needed,Tom

NoYenko

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 08:34:26 PM »
Marty, I just noticed your hose on the condenser line looks original by the crimp on the fitting and the markings on the hose. Is that date code 2288?
George.

IZRSSS

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, 11:30:28 PM »
George - This is the one time I wish I wasn't out of town. When I get back I'll pull the battery and take some descent shots of the hoses. 2288 would be Aug. 15, 1968. My car was built the first week of December, 68. How far back would you say a guy can go with these dates and still be in the ball park? I would think 2 ½ month’s is pretty legit.

Good eye and much appreciated!

anything