Author Topic: '67-'68 Penske Camaro Sunoco Blue  (Read 19706 times)

j-rho

• View Profile
'67-'68 Penske Camaro Sunoco Blue
« on: May 16, 2011, 07:59:11 PM »
Hello,
I'm sure this has come up before, but I'd be interested to know if anybody has the inside scoop on the "Sunoco Blue" used on the original Penske/Donohe Trans-Am Camaros.  I've got just about every book and read every website out there.  Even found a number for "Molin Auto Body" in PA where they were originally painted (no longer in business).  As best I can tell "Sunoco Blue" was actually several different colors over the years, depending on the car, which shop was painting it, what Sunoco specified as their blue at the time, etc.

I took a pic last August of the '67-'68 cars at the Monterey Historics last year: 

My car is in the body shop now, and I like the darker blue of the car on the left (#15), not the lighter blue (#16).

I actually like this blue even better, but I can't tell if maybe it's just it being an old photo that makes it look so dark:

So I guess what I'm looking for, is if anyone here has any insider info on the paint codes, or shops, that graced these cars, such that I could do a fitting reproduction.  I've done lots of looking at GM factory paint codes and such, it's tough to find anything that isn't a metallic of some sort (which these are not).

Thanks again to the awesome Camaro Brain Trust!!!  :)

x66 714

• View Profile
Re: '67-'68 Penske Camaro Sunoco Blue
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 09:34:05 PM »
You might want to ask that question on oldgas.com. They do gas pump restorations & if Sunoco sponsered it, they probably used their specs. Another place you might try is autocolorlibrary in San Diego....Joe
See America's First, Chevrolet

1968 Z/28 Corvette Bronze. Black Hounds Tooth. 02E Los Angeles born 3/13/1968 pnt OO. Purchased March 1976
1969 SS396 Yellow/Yellow 08E Norwood born 8/28/1969 pnt 76E. Purchased April 1981

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 04:25:33 AM »
I remember Tom McIntyre and Pat Ryan discussing this subject a couple of years ago. I'll ask and let you know.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 03:18:34 AM »
Pat Ryan (who owns the #15 above) says that for Ditzler paint the color codes are...

Sunoco Blue:  12302

Sunoco Yellow:  81229

Tom McIntyre says the cars are painted the same color blue that was used on the Sunoco gas pumps.

I hope this information is useful to you.
Jon Mello
CRG

j-rho

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 04:20:23 AM »
Very much, thanks Jon!  I found the shop (T/A Performance Restorations) that restored the '69 Penske car, and they wouldn't share the codes, proprietary info!  Ha.  If you're ever out at an autocross I owe you a beer!

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 07:53:59 PM »
Proprietary info ???   If somebody paints their car dark blue that's a threat to a legit Penske car? Not in my book. There have been several clones done as tributes. Whether the color is exactly right or a shade off, a tribute car is just that. A tribute, not a true Penske car.

I should add, if somebody's going to do a tribute with the intent to deceive others as to what it really is, that's something all together different and that will not be supported here in any way. Enough said.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 03:14:10 AM »
Update: A member of the '69 (and later) Penske team has informed me through a friend that Deft was the paint manufacturer used by them at that time.
Jon Mello
CRG

j-rho

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 05:25:51 AM »
Wanted to thank Jon Mello again for the help in sourcing the paint codes.  Unfortunately my body and paint resource wasn't able to turn those values into a paint we could use, but I am still sincerely thankful.

After lots of research, I ended up using a factory Porsche color from 1971, known as "Dalmation Blue".  It has a little purple in it, but I think it's pretty much just what I was looking for.

http://www.rhoadescamaro.com/build/?p=1104

Cheers!

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 04:39:42 AM »
Looking pretty good, Jason. Coming along nicely. You've still got some work to do but at least you're out of paint jail!
Jon Mello
CRG

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 03:50:49 PM »
Greetings,

Quick question - does it seem plausible that the pre-Sunoco blue shade used on the early season Penske Camaro(s) was a factory color known as Deepwater Blue, with the paint code believed to be EE?  Vague memories of reading about the delivery of the first Z/28 to Penske suggest at least this vehicle was red in color, although what finish was eventually laid atop it I do not know. 

A fumbled effort to reproduce the over the top racing stripes extending back and down the tailpanel of a 1:18 GMP 1967 Camaro has effectively forced a respray effort, whereas my attempt to snatch victory from defeat has the shell at an area mediablaster, and myself mulling refinish options.  Thanks and kind regards...

Mike K. 

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 01:57:10 PM »
Mike, the first Penske Camaro was originally built on the assembly line as a red Z-28 but it was repainted blue before it ever raced. I am positive it was never a factory color like Deepwater Blue. I was a custom mix. I'm sorry to hear your efforts on the '67 model have run afoul and are requiring a total repaint of the body shell.
Jon Mello
CRG

Swede70

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 04:43:16 PM »
Hi Jon,

I too had read as much; i.e. the first car was factory painted in shade of red.  Do you judge the early '67 season shade to be a nonmetallic finish in addition to something they likely mixed in house?  I've not looked at color chips for '67 Deepwater Blue, hence this aspect of things too is a mystery, whereas in total I'm fishing.  Thanks and kind regards...

Mike K.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2012, 09:20:41 PM »
Mike, I'm of the opinion that the Sunoco blue is a non-metallic color. Whether that shade of blue used in '67 was different from '68 or '69, it is extremely hard to say. When I look at the photos, it does seem darker to me. However, there can be a lot of variables which might make you draw one conclusion when it fact if you saw it in person, there might not be a difference after all.
Jon Mello
CRG

anything