Author Topic: HEI Distributor Upgrade Advice Request...  (Read 6411 times)

oneZ11

• View Profile
HEI Distributor Upgrade Advice Request...
« on: July 23, 2012, 03:01:44 PM »
For street use prior to full restoration, I'm installing a ProComp HEI dist on the '69 350/300hp. In reading up on it, I've come across a couple of concerns maybe you can provide some insight on:

First, I've heard that there might be issues with the "mechanical" voltage regulator in running one of these affecting the distributor module, and possibly causing early failure if it's not a quality module. Any experience with that, or recommendations?

Also, should I run a hotter spark plug? Currently running the equivalent of a AC R-44.

Thanks...

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: HEI Distributor Upgrade Advice Request...
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 03:35:04 PM »
First, I've heard that there might be issues with the "mechanical" voltage regulator in running one of these affecting the distributor module, and possibly causing early failure if it's not a quality module. Any experience with that, or recommendations?

Also, should I run a hotter spark plug? Currently running the equivalent of a AC R-44.

Thanks...

I'm not aware of any issues between HEI and the standard electro-mechanical voltage regulator.

If most of your driving is around town, 45's may be a better choice; I've run 45's in all my small-blocks for many years with no issues.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

DT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 01:59:30 PM »
The only issue you may have is using the ProComp brand.  Many, many problems with this brand.  Had 2 friends toss them in the garbage.
Donny

srode

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 11:32:07 AM »
MSD Ready to run distributor with a blaster coil is a pretty nice set up - you can get a black cap to look more original but it will not have the points adjustment window.  The coil can be painted satin black to look original too. 
Steve - 02D Z11 and a Plain Jane hardtop

Larray

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 03:07:12 AM »
I've used GM K-66 ignitions in Corvettes and Camaro's for well over 40 years. (upgraded board in the amplifier of course). Amplifiers have been reasonable if purchased used. NOS is expensive but worth every penny. (I've stockpiled used and NOS spare parts for my future use) Bulletproof in daily driving in my 1967 SS350. Coils are now available for virtually all applications, multiple wiring harness vendors. NOS TRANSISTORIZED IGNITION AMPLIFIER 1115343 CAMARO CHEVELLE CORVETTE 68 69 70... Elegantly simple. They look bitching. I've been using the stock L-76 unit in a 1964 Corvette since 1976. I've changed the motors at least 6 times. The ignition simply works. Paradigm shift?