Author Topic: Special Front Bumper VE3 differences between OEM & aftermarket  (Read 29556 times)

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Special Front Bumper VE3 differences between OEM & aftermarket
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2015, 07:56:30 PM »
12,650 sold; cost $42.15.

Multiple suppliers on a part is not at all unusual; usually up to the Tier 1 to manage their subs. I planned fasteners on my last career stop; the T1 supplier only cold-formed parts, another supplier plated them, another supplier applied a lock patch. When complete the parts were shipped in bulk to another supplier for packaging. Then shipped to the warehousing facility. Now you know why service parts cost so much.

They may not have been "made exact in every way" as the T1 supplier for a production part may not be the supplier for the service part. For example the molding house that set up to continuously produce 200 bumpers per week may not be interested 20 per month for service. They send the tooling back and you find a short-run molder to do it; the part will fit and work but may not look exactly the same. A supplier of CNC parts may run them on the latest machining center for production, when non-current they may use an older, slower machine for short runs. Same supplier, but parts may not be exactly the same as production.
Learning more and more about less and less...

rsr

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2015, 11:59:04 AM »
I agree and understand the process thank you. So with that being said could it be possible out of the 12,650 VE3 bumpers plus every how many extras were made to supply the parts dept. a few differences in the brackets and materials used might have happened thus resulting in a couple different factory VE3 bumpers?

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2015, 05:33:01 PM »
Unknown and unknowable. Too many variables involved.

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2015, 09:37:16 AM »
rsr it sounds like you have one and are trying to determine if it's GM or not, is that correct?
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2015, 12:39:53 PM »
While there may be slight detail differences between production and service parts the parts still had to be per print. The extreme differences noted in the repro would not have been acceptable.

rsr

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2015, 01:24:39 PM »
Only searching to make sure that all VE3 bumpers would look exact...And yes I found one for sale the owner has had since the 80s and thinks it's oem. Also one of my customers bought a bumper from Heartbeat city a few years back and I questioned it then this other bumper I just heard about looks similar to me so I started the search to find out if any differences happen..Kinda like service JL8 axle tubes and several other parts with a couple designs for these cars.I've seen some real bad repos but evidently some nicer ones were made years ago? I 've always avoided most repo parts so I never inspected the bumpers much but will go and look closer this week.Thanks to everyone!

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2015, 08:42:17 AM »
There are some threads here with pictures of originals, but if you need details of a specific area, let me know. I have a couple of VE3 bumpers, one original to my car (but still fitted, so won't get pictures of the back face) and a spare that was removed from a Rallye Green car in the early 70's.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

rsr

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2015, 12:16:28 PM »
 I'd be more interested in seeing pics of the oldest repos from the 80s if possible? I got a couple original VE3 that's in my 40 year collection but are in very bad shape....rusty and bent!  The bumper in question came from Carl Dwiggins in the early 80s and the owner thinks it's not a repo? I'm more curious when the earliest VE3s were reproduced...Thanks again for your help!

WorkinProgress

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2015, 12:55:43 PM »
VE3 bumper #3938643 went discontinued on 6/75

- Warren

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2015, 01:36:23 PM »
This is a reproduction bumper and it shows how much material must be added to make them fit Correctly.

After filling and fitting prime with Spies Heckler Flexible primer then base and clear using flexible additive.

Finished Bumper

« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 02:23:20 PM by firstgenaddict »
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

rsr

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2015, 04:21:05 PM »
Nice job James! Got any pics of the back side?

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2015, 05:36:29 PM »
very good work. The fitment looks really nice. I have friend with an original V3 bumper on his car, and it looks very similar.
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

firstgenaddict

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2015, 09:20:10 PM »
ONE OTHER DIFFERENCE IS THE INNER MOUNTING METAL IS MUCH THINNER ON THE REPRO.
The one on the Blue Car is a reproduction and you might as well give up trying to get them to fit ANY WHERE CLOSE TO correctly without adding material.  I SPENT UNTOLD HOURS before just adding material!!!
The back looks like the one pictured on team camaro, molded in grey with the slots in the back. NO ROUND support points like the originals.

You have to clean the repro EXTREMELY WELL due to the mold release.

I also roughed up the area where I was adding material with a rasp in order to give it an accepting surface with which to bond   

I use 3M automix flexible repair and Spies Hecker Flexible primer, (one to one mix ratio) then a compatible flexible additive in the clear coat.

I ended up mounting the outer side mounts with no bushing between the bumper and the mount to pull up as close as possible, then I taped off the fenders and grille, built up the outside ears to fill the gaps pulled the bumper filled and filed then checked and had to add in a few more places, primed and then painted it.

Also I have found that the easiest fitment comes by bolting the two side mounts to the fender extensions first and aligning the bumper then, pulling the frame horn mounts up to the bumper and bolting them into place... sometimes the two mounting points want to bind with one another.
James
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...

rsr

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2015, 09:51:51 PM »
James, I do appreciate your instructions and many pics on how to repair urethane. I've been doing bodywork since 1972 myself but never to old to learn? I've also dealt with plenty of parts fitting problems during that time! Maybe you should write a book on restorations and share ALL that knowledge about doing it your way? I'm currently restoring the 1 and only 67 Baldwin Motion chevelle,68 Baldwin Motion camaro,69 Baldwin Motion camaro with Hone drive,69 JL8 Xram with endura bumper and a few not so popular camaros of my own. Thanks for your imput again!

firstgenaddict

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2015, 01:05:18 AM »
I thought you were the one restoring Kevin's 67 BM Chevelle.  That car is BAD...

very good work. The fitment looks really nice. I have friend with an original V3 bumper on his car, and it looks very similar.

I was fortunate to have the original paint black RS/Z with the original paint VE3 so I knew how they were supposed to fit... just had to replicate it.
BTW the guys at Ricks (before Ecklers) said that it wouldn't fit right and I would spend MANY hours especially if using repro brackets. 

The REPRO VE3 BUMPER installed using all the original VE3 hardware causes the repro bumper to fit with the same gaps as an ORIGINAL CHROME BUMPER.  3/8-1/2" gaps
James