Author Topic: 69 Spring Tags  (Read 12975 times)

Don_Lightfoot

• View Profile
69 Spring Tags
« on: July 16, 2012, 10:02:41 PM »
Will be doing seven posts in a row here so please bare with me.

Thought it prudent to have a new thread for this rather than continue in the other thread that is discussing several items.  I researched the fonts for these and purchased two fonts on the weekend.  The fonts are different for the letters and numbers.  I have printed out several samples which you will see in the pictures below.  Important to note there is no vinyl sealed on these samples so they may appear a little dull.

When you analyze fonts there are several letters which really need to be scrutinized.  The primary ones are A – G – Q.  The first picture below is from an original tag from a 69 Chevelle.  Check out the style of the original Q compared to my sample.

With the original font the two numbers which need to be reviewed are 7 – 9.  The  downward arm on the “7” starts out narrow at the top and gradually widens near the bottom.  For the “9”, notice how vertically stretched the upper enclosed part is.
WEBSITE
Specialized Chevrolet Decals

Don_Lightfoot

• View Profile
Re: 69 Spring Tags
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 10:03:49 PM »
Here is an original tag from a 69 Chevelle highlighting the “G”.
WEBSITE

Don_Lightfoot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 10:04:46 PM »
Here is an original front tag from a 69 Camaro.  The comparison here shows samples in “Blue on Blue” and “Black on Blue”.  Colour comparison will come later.

WEBSITE

Don_Lightfoot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 10:05:39 PM »
Here’s a comparison to an original 69 Camaro rear tag.
WEBSITE

Don_Lightfoot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 10:06:41 PM »
Troy mentioned that the front 69 Camaro tags were Blue on Blue.  Here’s a sample comparison of the “Blue on Blue” and “Black on Blue”
WEBSITE

Don_Lightfoot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 10:07:39 PM »
Here is a comparison of four different Blue backgrounds with Blue lettering.  Again, keep in mind they would not look as dull once the clear vinyl is applied.  I know it’s hard to judge from pictures, but which one of the background Blues would appear to be closest?  Maybe some further opinions as to whether the lettering was Blue or Black would help as well.
WEBSITE

Don_Lightfoot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 10:08:33 PM »
Here are four samples of different Silver backgrounds.  Which would seem to be the closest?

This is the last of my initial posts here.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.
WEBSITE

rat pack

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 01:57:35 AM »
Don, there was only one front spring tag with dk.blue lettering per Jerry's book. The colors for the 69 front coil springs are as follows:

3955720 - YF - light blue background with dk.blue lettering
3955721 - YH - light blue background with black lettering
3925814 - EY - light blue background with black lettering
3955724 - HQ - light blue background with black lettering
3955728 - HW - light blue background with black lettering

The following 1969 rear mulitleaf spring tags are all silver with black lettering:
3955740- BK *note the attached picture and how the font of the part number is different than other springs.
3934894 - BM
3955729 - BP

I have some other coil and leaf spring tags around here somewhere, but it may take a few days to find them............RatPack........................

Just keep livin......L I V I N .............

Don_Lightfoot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 02:06:14 AM »
Thanks Troy, just responded to your email as well.  If I decide to do the BK decals it looks like I will need to source another font - DUH!

Anybody know if the BK coil was essentially for 396 and maybe COPO cars?
WEBSITE

rat pack

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 03:13:08 AM »
Don, the BK spring is a rear spring and was used in some of the SS396 and COPO cars. The pieces I have shown above came from an 02D NOR SS396. Is there any way to make the print look more like it was "stamped" like the originals?..............RatPack...............

Don_Lightfoot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 02:06:17 PM »
Is there any way to make the print look more like it was "stamped" like the originals?..............RatPack...............
Not at my end Troy. I can only imagine the innumerable parts and pieces you would need, let alone the cost of same.
WEBSITE

Don_Lightfoot

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 11:30:20 PM »
Here are a few tags I've made up for my stock. My templates are such that the codes, numbers and colours can be changed as needed. The YF tag has Blue lettering, while the others shown here are Black.  The two fonts used on the BK tag are totally different from the two fonts used on the others.
WEBSITE

rat pack

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 03:52:15 PM »
Well I am going to throw a monkey into the wrench regarding the lettering color of the YF spring tag. Got the original off of the 02D SS that the rear tag came from and the lettering looks black to me, not dark blue. It also has that small font for the part number like the one for the BK code rear spring................RatPack.....................

Don_Lightfoot

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 04:54:53 PM »
Nice guy Troy!!!  You were the one hyping the Blue print on the YF tag!!!  I also realize Jerry's book says the same.  You are driving me nuts pal  ::)  :)

Already responded to your email with some new pics.
WEBSITE

rat pack

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 07:36:30 PM »
You were the one hyping the Blue print on the YF tag!!!  I also realize Jerry's book says the same. 

Don, I wasn't hyping the blue print, just repeated what Jerry said in his book. Then I found this spring tag last night........... :P ;D ................

anything