Author Topic: Another 'survivor'  (Read 7168 times)

Mike S

• View Profile
Another 'survivor'
« on: July 14, 2012, 01:53:25 PM »
  Came across this today and thought you may find it interesting as it lists the owner and car both as 'survivors'.
http://v8tvshow.com/content/view/860/97/

(Though the owner mentioned the Tet Offensive in 1967, it was actually in late Jan 1968)

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

restore-z28

• View Profile
Re: Another 'survivor'
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 03:12:22 PM »
I could be wrong, but pretty sure I remember reading something about this car a while ago. There was lots of questions and holes in the story and no real proof this is a real Nickey car.
Sonny
1969 Z28 Camaro, sold :-(
1970 Z28 Camaro
www.camaros.ca

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 04:10:46 PM »
The name doesn't ring a bell, but I think I've seen this car a couple of times.  I've attended Chevy/Vette Fest several times, and I was there in '10 when this video was shot.  I believe they had a display there of Yenkos in every color offered.  They had some documentation showing 2 each; Black with White stripes, Red with White stripes, and White with Black stripes, '69 Yenko Camaros.  I live in northwest Illinois, there was a Black with White stripes one in this area everyone swore could not be real.  Hmmmm?  Makes you wonder.
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

mopar346

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 08:09:24 PM »
How can a fully restored car be considered a survivor?? If that is the case everyone of mine survived me ownign them. I have said it before, I belive the accepted definition of a survivor is a vehicle that has only basic maintnenance and extremely light repairs AND still wears it's original interior and 80% of it's original paint.

How is this car in anyway a survivor???

It is an awesome car though.

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 11:32:34 PM »
Yes and lets face it, it IS a nice car. But I am sure it was in his Dads name FIRST. THEN his name. So it is a one FAMILY car, NOT a one owner car. I don't wanna sound like a jerk, and I appreciate his service... but for me, I would have been WAY more excited if he said he put new gas in it, tires and a battery and here it is.... That's way better than I dropped 40 THOUSAND dollars, and look at this survivor. Nice car NOT a survivor.   Danny

mickeystoys69RSSS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 01:52:39 PM »
How do you put a car in storage and forget about a car like that???

lcmc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 02:35:30 PM »
How do you put a car in storage and forget about a car like that???

That was my thought. Something isn't right with the whole story.
Danny
1969 Z/28 X77
1970 Nova L78 9300 original miles

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 02:45:29 AM »
  My sentiments exactly.   My one brother has a '79 Trans Am, Black with Red and Orange 'Bird and decals, gets lots of looks.  I think it has something like 48 K original miles.  Only the very front half of one front fender has ever been repainted, (minor fender bender) other than that the only thing not original that I know of is Tires and Mufflers.  Oh, guess where he bought the car, the name Mecum ring a bell?  They used to be a Dealership.
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 04:14:50 AM »
I think I recall it being a tall tale. Stefano from Nickey can probably chime in.

NickeyChicago

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 12:57:53 PM »
This Camaro has a very interesting story to say the least!

We inspected the Camaro and the documents years ago and this Camaro has NOT been  included in the Nickey Registry as an authentic Nickey Super Camaro.

The original owner states that he purchased and took delivery of the Camaro from Dick Harrell.

Dick was not working at Nickey when this Camaro was sold to the claimed original owner?

This Camaro features a reproduction trim tag with a K- code, when the POP shows 327/pg

It is also too early of a car for the L78 code.

Some of the Nickey documents we inspected are fake.

Etc.......etc......

mopar346

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 01:43:41 AM »
Well there ya go and because this show didn't do it's homework it now has a certain credibility.

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 02:28:44 AM »
 So, it sounds like the car is not what it is represented to be. *sigh* Now I know why I love the astrophotography hobby so much.
I hope this guy wasn't lying about being in country too. When he mentioned Tet and '67 in the same sentence, I was surprised and wondered what else was wrong with his story.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

V8TV

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 03:13:13 AM »
Mike,

Thanks for bringing this one up again, we removed the video and story from our website and other sites where we could.     

We initially shot this video and our team edited it and posted the video, and soon some suggested that the car was not genuine.   Our thoughts were to unpublish the story after determining the facts, but truthfully, we did not have the resources to verify this story, but additional evidence such as posted here mounted.     This thread brought the topic back to the forefront and reminded us to pull it, so it has been unpublished.

We would like to think people are truthful about representing their cars, but we all know that's not the case.    We apologize for the frustration that this story brought to legitimate car owners and documented vehicles.

Thanks for the thread, I'm glad it made its way back to us so we could take action.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you ever have any concerns over V8TV content.    I can be reached at:   k e v i n  at   v 8 t v  dot net   (without spaces and with the @ sign, of course)

Regards,

Kevin Oeste
Producer, V8TV

anything