Author Topic: Restoring Factory AC  (Read 5899 times)

randfr

• View Profile
Restoring Factory AC
« on: July 03, 2012, 01:12:09 PM »
I'm replacing the evaporator core on a 1967 Camaro.  There is some "goop" wrapped around the top tube of the evaporator core just where it goes into the case.  It appears to seal a probe against the tube.  What is the "goop" and where can I get some more?

The attached photo shows the sealant just as I was opening it up.  Fortunately it was triple digits in the garage so the goop was pretty soft and easy to pry open.

Also, does anyone know if the sealant that goes around the perimeter of the evaporator case (against the firewall) is sold anywhere?  It had the consistency of silly putty (was still pliable) and seemed to have a nylon thread running thru the center.

I also found some strange stenciling on the firewall covered up by the evaporator case.  I'll try to post some photos of that also.

thanks,

randfr

• View Profile
Re: Restoring Factory AC
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 01:19:19 PM »
(photo of goop)

randfr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 01:20:41 PM »
photo of stencil

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 06:04:48 PM »
Search PBT and you'll get about 100 threads on that.
68Z28

JKZ27

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 12:30:43 AM »
The "goop" wrapped around the evaporator, I replaced mine with Four Seasons's insulation tape #59010. It may be the same as NAPA #TEM 209491.

John
John
69 RS/SS Cortez Silver, L48 MC1
68 RS Ash/Ivy Gold 327EFI M20

randfr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 01:28:18 AM »
thanks for the tip on the insulation tape.  I was able to track down something at Rick's Camaro that looks like the same stuff.  http://www.rickscamaros.com/camaro-air-conditioning-insulation-wrap-evaporator-core-upper-tube-1967-1969.html

any ideas on where to find the sealant goes on the firewall and inbetween the two pieces of the evaporator casing?  Rick's also lists Evaporator Case Seals, but shows them discontinued.  I haven't been able to come up with the correct search terms to "uncover" a similar item at other online places.

The "goop" wrapped around the evaporator, I replaced mine with Four Seasons's insulation tape #59010. It may be the same as NAPA #TEM 209491.

John

Petes L48

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 03:58:30 AM »
I believe the stuff in the channel around the suitcase perimeter and seals against the firewall is black ribbon or strip caulk.  See the third item at this site, comes in a box of 1 ft lengths.  Most jobbers should carry this.  I'm not sure if it has a thread though, that may have been special to GM and no longer available.  Look under UPC C60 in the AIM to see what Chevrolet called it.

http://www.theautopartsshop.com/paintandbodyequipsupplies/caulkingandsealants.htm

randfr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 02:32:52 PM »
thanks Petes.  A friend recommended something very similar and it seems to have worked ok.  Now if i can just get the POA and evaporator fitting to cooperate!