Author Topic: Choice for compressor, blast cabinet, paint gun ???  (Read 3506 times)

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
Choice for compressor, blast cabinet, paint gun ???
« on: July 08, 2012, 07:02:44 PM »
I am needing some recommendations...... After trying different methods of de-greasing, de-rusting, and paint removal on many small parts of my '68 (all being time consuming and not all of them being very successful), I am thinking a blast cabinet for cleaning and prepping parts would be the way to go.

So I would be needing a blast cabinet and a compressor. And since I would now have a compressor, I would also want to tackle some small paint work. Primering and finish painting these small parts.

So I would need recommendations on:  A blast cabinet. Harbor Freight has a couple on sale now.

A compressor capable of powering a blast cabinet and also running a paint gun that I could
                                                         primer and finish paint bunches of small parts. ( It would need to run on 110 volts house current)

A paint gun for the above.

I don't need anything elaborate. Pretty much the minimums for accomplishing the above. I have been reading up on compressors trying to educate myself a little. The two blast cabinets at Harbor Freight require 9.5 cfm @ 90 psi or 10 cfm@ 100psi.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.................Thanks, Dave

lynnbilodeau

• View Profile
Re: Choice for compressor, blast cabinet, paint gun ???
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 10:28:42 PM »
It is doubtful that a 110 compressor will keep up with a blast cabinet.  The harbor freight numbers are pretty optimistic in my opinion.

Paint guns are pretty much a matter of personal opinion, but for most hobbyists, mega buck guns are not necessary.  I am sure there are many good medium priced guns.  I have a pair of HVLP Sharpe guns I bought a few years back, one for primer and one for finish paint.  I don't think you can get anything but HVLP guns any more.  If you are doing very small parts, some of the older guns you can get used can be very good.  I have an old Binks #7 gun and an early DeVilbiss gun that I will never get rid of, especially the DeVilbiss.  Laquer (yes, I know, you can't buy it anymore but I have a bunch stock piled) goes on so smooth, without any orange peel ever.

I just sold a house, and unfortunately, my built in compressor is going with it.  It is a 220 DeVilbiss (sp?) oil free, 6 hp rated at 12 cfm at 90 psi, and it won't keep up with either my pressure blaser or a bucket style siphon blaster.  And forget about keeping up with a cheap da sander.  I plan to replace it with one rated for 18 cfm at 100 psi, just to be safe.   

Having said all of that about compressors, if you don't mind waiting for the compressor to catch up, you can use just about anything.

Good luck.

Lynn

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 12:53:31 AM »
Lynn....Thanks for the reply,

The things I am looking to clean and paint are things such as suspension components, brake calipers, pulleys, brackets and odd and ends like that. All of these things have some combination of rust, grease, and old paint on them

I have have tried hand scrubbing with degreaser, soaking stuff in de-rusting solutions, and paint stripper.  And none of them are doing the job on tough stuff! I'll be an old man by the time I finish it all the way I am doing it now......If I had to start and stop because of a low powered compressor, that's still better than what I am doing now............ I want to be able to spray the parts with 2K paints for durability and not paint from a spray can.

I know I can probably farm it all out but would rather do it myself....... My end gaol is to strip these parts to be ready for paint and then put a quality, durable paint on them.

The only place I have to work on my stuff, I do not have access to a 220V hook up................Any other ideas out there on how to accomplish this?

Thanks........Dave

lynnbilodeau

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 01:59:17 AM »
Are you sure you don't have 220 to your house?  That is pretty unusual.  No 220 to the utility room for a dryer?  I always use a gas dryer, and have pirated the 220 dryer circuit at two different homes.  You might have an electrician look at your service panel to see if you have 220 to the house.  I would be surprised if you don't unless the house is more than 60 years old.

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 09:19:47 AM »
If you have a breaker box (not the old glass fuses) and two unoccupied slots side by side, you should be able to add a 220 volt breaker to the panel. Check at a local electrical supply for info and advise.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

anything