Author Topic: Black Oxide - Bolt Refinish  (Read 5223 times)

sdkar

• View Profile
Black Oxide - Bolt Refinish
« on: July 05, 2012, 09:42:08 PM »
Hey guys,

I am finally just about ready to redo my front end and subrame.  I have my Eastwood powder coating kit for all the cast iron grey for the calipers, steering links, etc.  I have the Caswell zinc/cadmium kit for the backing plates, caliper brackets and brake line brackets, etc.  The only thing I am unsure of is the black oxide for the bolts and tie rod sleeves, etc.  What is available for redoing the black oxide on metal?  I have looked at some things, but obviously, the guys selling this stuff are going to tell me how great it is.  I would like to hear from guys that have used or have seen the results of a product and can honestly recommend a product.

So, what do you guys recommend for black oxide?

Thanks,

Steve

maroman

• View Profile
Re: Black Oxide - Bolt Refinish
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 01:09:32 AM »
I've worked in machine shops for way too many years. Depending on the shop we've either had it done or had our own system. McMaster-Carr sells tool black, which is what you want. You probably don't need the whole kit just the juice. Lie water or toilet bowl cleaner will get the metal clean for you.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 01:27:11 AM »
Hi Steve,

I use a kit I bought in 1986 from Birchwood Casey for room temp oxide treating.
In it contains the rust remover, pre-dip cleaner and the black oxide solution and a can of Dri-Touch oil.
I still have solutions from that kit today and use it for spot treating bolts. Today there are so many more kits available.
 The trick to longevity is once the parts are treated and oiled initially you have to apply an oil to it periodically to maintain the rust preventative.
I use the Dri-Touch oil which goes on wet and dries to a film that provides the rust prevention. I apply it about 3 times a year with a small model type paint brush (I also apply to other parts too such as carb pieces and brake/fuel lines).
By itself black oxide offers no rust prevention but does provide a base for oil to bind to. The kits are the way to go for convenience and cost savings.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 04:00:03 PM »
The only thing I am unsure of is the black oxide for the bolts and tie rod sleeves, etc. 

Black oxide-finished bolts weren't used in production - they were phosphate-and-oil. Black oxide may look better, but it's not the original finish.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

NoYenko

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 02:24:47 AM »
Steve, The black oxide finish you are referring to has been called many different finish names. Phosphate and oil, or parkerizing/phosphating. I believe GM used black phosphate and have been able to duplicate this finish with a product "Chick" recommended, Palmetto dark,
"http://www.palmettoenterprises.net/Palmetto_Enterprises/-Welcome-.HTML."
Really pleased with the results. I had several nos GM bolts 30 years old that I had to compare to and it was a great match. I used an $18 crock pot with a ceramic bowl, worked great and very easy. If you search for Palmetto you will find more info. George

anything