Author Topic: When were rear 'T' bolts installed?  (Read 4084 times)

Mike S

• View Profile
When were rear 'T' bolts installed?
« on: June 29, 2012, 11:32:45 PM »
 I'm at the stage of getting ready to spray the 67 12 bolt rear. I had detailed it in the 80's (non painted bolts and other HW) and now will resort to the correct method of finish by spraying it entirely gloss black, including the 12 bolt cover bolts, though the pinion and bleeders will be masked. Were the 'T' bolts installed yet to get painted or did they come after painting. What about the vent tube?

Thank you,
Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

jeff68

• View Profile
Re: When were rear 'T' bolts installed?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 12:15:54 AM »
The rear axle assembly was semi-gloss black, not full gloss.  Since the springs were not installed on the rear axle assembly when it was painted, I would assume that the mounting hardware is not painted.  Not sure about the vent tube.
68 L30/M20 Convertible, Ash Gold
N10, F41, N34, Z21, ZJ9, Z87, D55, G80, P01, U17

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 12:54:24 AM »
Hi Jeff,

You're right about the semi-gloss. I left the semi out which is what I meant.
As for the springs coming later, being that was done at the Chevy plant and the rear assembled and painted elsewhere, I'm not sure if the bolts were installed before being shipped. I am assuming they were because I don't see the bolts mentioned in the AIM though the drawing shows the studs. It seems to make sense if the bolts were installed and the studs masked before painting so as not to cause skewed torque readings later from paint on the threads or they were installed after the housing was painted so the bolt finish would be black oxide ( or phosphate).

Mike

IZRSSS

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 01:20:35 AM »
Have you read this? About 2/3 down under the heading of; "Chevrolet Assembly - Chassis Line Operations Detals".
http://www.camaros.org/assemblyprocess.shtml

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 01:34:42 AM »
Hi Marty,
  I've read that informative writeup a few times but don't see anyplace mentioning rear bolts installed. I would think it was risky to ship a heavy rear with the studs hanging out and getting dinged and yet I don't see when it was installed.
I guess a judge could chime in and give their take on how that would be graded...painted or not.

Thanks,
Mike

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 03:02:15 PM »
The "T"-bolts (P/N 9792949) were installed at the car assembly plant; they weren't part of the axle assembly as received. They're shown in the 1969 Assembly Manual, section L35, sheet B4, item #7. The axle vent cap was installed at the axle plant.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 05:18:11 PM »
 Thank you all!!  I can't believe to the most granular levels of details we let ourselves ponder  :D
Time to black oxide the bolts now....

Have a happy and safe 4th if I don't get to talk sooner.

Mike