CRG Discussion Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 23, 2014, 01:21:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the CRG Discussion Forum!
Forum registration problems: Make sure you enter your email correctly and you check your spam box first. *Then* email KurtS2@gmail for help.
104706 Posts in 12247 Topics by 4719 Members
Latest Member: Baconcks
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  CRG Discussion Forum
|-+  Model Specific Discussions
| |-+  Trans-Am Camaros
| | |-+  Corvair
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]  All Print
Author Topic: Corvair  (Read 4013 times)
oldtransamdriver

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2013, 12:51:55 AM »

According to  ultimateracinghistory.com  Tony d was listed as a co-driver with Don Eichstaedt in the 66 Marlboro T/A race - 23rd o/a.

Robert Barg
Jon Mello
CRG Member

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2013, 09:26:12 AM »

Then I stand corrected. Thanks, Robert. I was confident that Tony hadn't raced his own Corvair in T/A but hadn't thought about him being a co-driver in someone else's car.

Jon Mello
CRG
yenkomark

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2013, 04:33:29 PM »

Just a few additions to this discussion....Donna Mae Mims entered a Corvair in a TransAm once ....I think in Missouri ...DNF   ...I recall Brock Yates in that race in a Dodge Dart.  Tony D's Corvair was a 1965 , ran as an A/ Sedan..he told me it gave him his first of many race wins..I think at Nelson Ledges.. As a favor , Don Yenko gave him a Yenko Stinger ID tag later and Tony traded the car to his dentist for dental work ! That car now belongs to a friend in Maryland...who also has a red/red  ( rare combo )1969 COPO Camaro.    The Sebring Stinger referred to was raced by Russ McGrotty, a Chevy dealer in N Y ..co-driven by Art Riley,  ( better known as a superb Volvo racer ) and a close friend of Don Y.
Jon Mello
CRG Member

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2013, 01:50:16 AM »

Mark, Donna raced at Marlboro in '66 as a co-driver in Spurgeon May's Corvair. Some results show William "Bill" Clay as his co-driver but I think that was an error for that particular race. Donna does not show up in results for the Missouri race, at least the ones that I found anyway.

Jon Mello
CRG
Jon Mello
CRG Member

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2013, 12:30:48 AM »

An interesting single overhead cam experimental Corvair engine seen in the May, 6, 1967
issue of Competition Press & Autoweek. Cool looking piece. (Jon Mello Collection)

Jon Mello
CRG
SMKZ28

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2013, 08:30:07 AM »

While not an official SCCA Trans Am race, a Yenko Corvair Stinger did run in Les 4 Heures du Circuit Le Circuit Mont-Tremblant.  This  was a four hour race for Trans Am type cars held on May 21, 1967 at Circuit Mont-Tremblant, Mont-Tremblant, Québec, Canada.  According to the race results clipping, originally posted by Jon Mello in the 1967 season review thread, Donna Mae Mimms was the driver. The car did not finish the race, stopping on lap 18 due to ignition and clutch failure. 

You can see the rear end and the striped roof of the white Stinger parked behind the Camaro in the first picture. 

The front end of the Stinger can be seen at the top of the second picture above the roof of the Mustang.

The front end of the Stinger can also be seen to the upper right in the third picture above the hood of the Falcon.

The pictures can be seen here: http://www.autocourse.ca/photos/saison1967/transam/transam/transam.html
Jon Mello
CRG Member

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2013, 09:33:26 AM »

Scott, Donna's car was pink and the one you can barely make out in the top picture is her car but the white car in the other two photos is not.

Jon Mello
CRG
SMKZ28

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2013, 10:54:13 AM »

Scott, Donna's car was pink and the one you can barely make out in the top picture is her car but the white car in the other two photos is not.

Sorry 'bout that.  I should have known her car was pink.  In addition the white car does not even have the traditional Stinger stripe.  It's probably just a regular street driven Corvair.  Thanks for the correction Jon. 

Here is a picture of her car from a race at Mid Ohio.  I found it here: http://classicmotorsports.net/forum/classic-cars/donna-mae-mims-vintage-photos/24781/page1/
Pages: 1 [2]  All Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: