Go to full version

Model Specific Discussions > Trans-Am Camaros

Corvair

(1/6) > >>

Jon Mello:
There were only two Corvairs that I can think of that ran in the Trans-Am series and that was during the first season, 1966.
They were run by Spurgeon May and Don Eichstaedt. Hopefully I can dig up some material on those cars. The Corvair was
at a disadvantage in Trans-Am because its engine was too large for the under 2-liter class and way too small for the over
2-liter class. In D/Production with the Yenko Stinger package, they did quite well and were the National Champion in 1967.
In other forms of racing such as slaloms and hill climbs, where rules were not quite so restrictive, you can see in the article
below that the Corvair did quite well for itself.

Jon Mello Collection

yenkomark:
   Doug ended up with the Bill Thomas 1960  Corvair  which Bill had developed for sedan racing ( another back door Chevy project ). Bill developed the 4 carb , big valve heads which became the 140 hp Corvair engine in 1965. That car now belongs to a friend here in Indiana who restored it to the configuration that Doug last raced it.

Jon Mello:
Thanks, Mark. I didn't know where that car ended up. Here's a small story on the
BTRC Corvair from the November, 1963 issue of Car and Driver magazine.

Jon Mello:
Bill Thomas ad from November, 1963.

Jon Mello:
1966 Yenko Stingers did very well in competition and did win the National Championship in 1967.
They did not ever reach the production numbers Don Yenko was hoping for in spite of being a
very competitive car.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page