Author Topic: Windlace-Orange Madness  (Read 5023 times)

Mac B

• View Profile
Windlace-Orange Madness
« on: June 16, 2012, 04:17:58 PM »
I have an orange houndstooth interior.  Correct color for the rear windlace is orange.  Of course none are available in this color so I have painted the black ones with vinyl paint in the correct color.  Prepped them correctly but the paint keeps coming off where the windlace contacts the door.  Is there a clear coat or other coating that will make the orange paint stick better?  I did use the correct preparation spray before spraying the color but it did not seem to matter.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
Re: Windlace-Orange Madness
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 04:50:38 PM »
If you painted the original orange windlace 'orange' the same way, it would not be so obvious when the 'dye' came off.     What kind of 'vinyl paint' are you using?   Was it termed a 'dye' or a 'paint'?
PS  Is your car an original '720' interior car? ie. data plate codes 72A /720?
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

Mac B

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 05:23:47 PM »
Yep, I have the original window sticker that matches the data plate.  Both are 720.  Fairly unusual in a coupe.  The interior, as well of the rest of the car, was devastated prior to restoration.  The only windlace obtainable is black so I have to paint it.  Wish I could find a pair of originals.  I am headed to Maryland for the American Camaro event.  Might just leave them off till I get there.  The black ones look and work fine in any other show situation.

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 08:04:26 PM »
I used the a spray can vinyl "dye" on a door pull and hated the look and feel. Was very flat and dull looking.
OER Hugger Orange spray paint looks good and holds up well to traffic.  What did you use and what was the prep?
1969 Z-11 350/300 with 4 Speed
TeamCamaro - Moderator

srode

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 08:24:55 PM »
I just wiped my black replacments down with acetone and use hugger orange vinyl paint from heart beat and they have held up fine - don't think the door panel is hitting them really though, there's a slight gap, could be wrong.  Maybe put some type of weather strip lube on them so the slide easier on the panel?
Steve - 02D Z11 and a Plain Jane hardtop

Mac B

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 08:50:25 PM »
I used the Hugger Orange OER paint.  I am going to try masking them for travel and see what happens.  I think I will just change to black for ordinary situations as the windlace is a since to change. My doors have new weather stripping and fit pretty tight.

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 08:51:02 PM »
yeah I agree my door panels don't really make contact with them enough to care about. Can pull a sheet of paper through most of it. Most of the spray color applications say to prep fast drying solvent/cleaner then skuff with pad or steel wool. So maybe the side that is sticking to your door panel needs some TLC with an abrasive surface, or maybe some Armor All on the door panel to help it slide over the windlace.  
1969 Z-11 350/300 with 4 Speed
TeamCamaro - Moderator

Mac B

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 03:16:56 AM »
Thanks for all the advice guys.  I am gonna tape with blue masking tape.  Heading to Maryland tomorrow.