Author Topic: New Guy Needs Help Correlate Cowl/VIN with Options  (Read 12544 times)

chilipepper13

• View Profile
New Guy Needs Help Correlate Cowl/VIN with Options
« on: June 03, 2012, 09:05:53 AM »
Hello Everybody

Two weeks ago I joined the proud 1st Gen Camaro Owners Club  ;D

The car is at least from the looks a mostly unmolested numbers matching '69 SS/RS 350. VIN is 124679N521153 and I attached the Cowl Tag as JPEG.

According to the Cowl Tag it's supposed to be a 10C build so before the X codes were introduced, right? The build number and the straight headrests also point towards an October '68 fabrication. However there are a few options on the car that don't make any sense to me...  ???

1) The car came with the Radio Delete Option but Power Windows & Power Top. I read that the Radio Delete was chosen for performance oriented customers that wanted to save a few pounds when going to the track, but to me it doesn't make any sense to order radio delete but power windows (or a convertible altogether...). Also, the car has the opening for the rear mounted antenna which I believe also wasn't cut if ordered with radio delete. Any ideas how to find out if the radio delete was an original option?

2) The car also features the ZL2 Cowl Hood but according to your research the Cowl Hood was only available in December, right? So this must be an option that was installed later, perhaps together with the rally striping that also isn't original to the SS (though you see a lot of non-pace cars out there with rally stripes...)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thx,

Ed
Eddy C.

1969 SS/RS 350 Convertible

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: New Guy Needs Help Correlate Cowl/VIN with Options
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 12:07:43 PM »
Yes, this is an early bult Camaro assembled in October of 68 so its before the X codes were added to the tags.  All I can say is that tag is one of the oddest I've ever seen.  It has that notch on the right side, all of the text is offset from where they should be, all of the text is raised up by about half of the stamped fonts height, the interior code is to far to the left, the date code to far to the right, the exterior paint and top color is to far to the left.  The rivits have been removed and replaced, so I would say the cowl tag is a replacement.  Is there any evidence on the car that it is not a cortez silver car, or the interior is not a black deluxe interior?  If you pull the rear seat down, you may see an X code written in yellow crayon on the passenger side of the rear seat support, sometimes its just two dixits like X1, sometimes its more with some derivative of an X code and the cars color like X3RG, for X33 Rally Green.  It will be under the edge of the convertible top bag, and if its real (yes people fake those too) it will be under the trim adhesive that holds the bag to the seat support.

Alot of cars were ordered without radios as the dealers could make more money by installing their own radios after the cars were deleivered, but of course there would be no holes in either the fender or quarter panel for an antenna.  If the car truely didn't have a radio, or had a rear antenna (an hence an AM radio) from the factory, there will not be a holde drilled in the A piller forward of the passenger door where the antenna cable went from the interior of the car to the space behind the front fender.  If theres a hole there, then the car had a radio when it left the factory.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

Steve Barndt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 01:26:41 PM »
I dont believe that it is entirely correct that vehicles could come without antennas and yet not have a radio. I cannot document this to anyones satisfaction but my 10e was such a car. I remember seeing 2 cars come in on the same load to our local Chevy dealer, which was Hedrick Bros. at that time, equiped the same way. The cars were not radio delete but radio "short" or so we were told. I dont know the story on my car other then it still had the block off plate when I got it in January of 1969 along with a rear antenna and a rear shelf speaker. The car's original salesman told me it never had one and came that way. Anyway, no documentation but I know what I saw.

chilipepper13

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 01:42:25 PM »
Mark & Steve

Many thanks for your replies!

Mark's comment has me a little worried now  :-\ When I checked the car it "looked" original to my very limited knowledge...

The engine had the correct HB code, TH350 automatic, 5-spring rear suspension, front disc-brakes, 12-bolt rear axle, etc. Again the only thing that didn' make sense to me was the cowl induction hood for an October car. Yes the paint job was redone a couple of years ago and while the rally stripes are not original SS/RS I still like 'em with the cowl hood.

I'll add some more pictures of the interior and engine, perhaps this helps to solve the mystery...

Again, many thanks for the great insight so far!
Eddy C.

chilipepper13

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 01:43:57 PM »
Here's a pic of the interior - again seems to match with the 712 code. Besides the headrests are of the straight type as to be expected in an October built car.
Eddy C.

chilipepper13

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 01:46:28 PM »
And finally an outside view to give you an idea of the overall appearance...
Eddy C.

chilipepper13

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 01:51:36 PM »
Forgot the photo of the VIN...
Eddy C.

chilipepper13

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 01:54:04 PM »
Finally a better shot of the cowl tag - hopefully looking better now  :-\
Eddy C.

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 03:31:28 PM »
That's an export cowl tag. The car was not initially delivered in the US; probably somewhere in Europe. I've attached a photo of a similar tag for a Camaro delivered in Germany. I'm not certain a US spec radio would work there; maybe why it wasn't built with one. A car built without a radio would not have radio ground straps; there was a black cardboard cover taped under the dash speaker grille.

Learning more and more about less and less...

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 03:52:57 PM »
1) The car came with the Radio Delete Option  Any ideas how to find out if the radio delete was an original option?

There was no such thing as a "radio delete" option, as the radio wasn't standard equipment; the car was simply ordered without specifying the extra-cost optional radio, so it got the wood-grain block-off plate instead.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

chilipepper13

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 04:34:24 PM »
That's good news William, since I'm writing from Switzerland :)  The car was most likely an original export to Europe as opposed to imports of US cars in recent years.

Many thanks also for clarifying the "Radio Delete" John!

This leaves me with the last remaining question - would a ZL2 be possible as an original RPO on a October/10C car? According from the info I found on CRG this shouldn't be possible, right?
Eddy C.

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 05:07:26 PM »
ZL2 did not exist as an option when your car was ordered. A BDY number of 122746 places the cars' order about Aug 1, 1968 almost a month prior to '69 model intro.

SS hoods used stronger springs than the standard or ZL-2 hood. Does the hood seem to pop open?

chilipepper13

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2012, 06:22:31 PM »
Many thanks William!

Car's currently at the mechanic for some simple repairs so checking the spring will have to wait... what you're saying though is that it seems very unlikely that this SS originally came with the ZL2 option, right?

What about the rest of the car though? I could live with the fact that the hood (and stripes) were put on at a later stage since I like the look of both and getting it back to original should not be that much of a hassle. But do the rest of the numbers match with what you're seeing?

All the best from Switzerland,

Ed
Eddy C.

chilipepper13

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2012, 06:34:00 PM »
Duh... answered the ZL2 question myself I guess... ::)

Apparently my air cleaner doesn't have the vacuum valve that was installed on the original's snout. According to an article it was standard on ZL2 automatic cars to draw heated air from the heat riser.
Eddy C.

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2012, 11:30:03 PM »
A ducted hood air cleaner for a 350 automatic is difficult to find. They have a vacuum motor in the base and the valve in the snout. There was a metal pipe from the snout to the exhaust manifold. Repros are generic and technically only correct for Z/28 & BB.

HB is the code for an L48/TH350. Engine bay looks undisturbed; master cylinder is not original.

anything