Author Topic: original A/C installation in a '69  (Read 4004 times)

Springer Tom

• View Profile
original A/C installation in a '69
« on: May 31, 2012, 08:52:24 PM »
I'm getting a '69 with factory air but the whole system is out of the car...question is, with so many parts to the system, where do you start as far as assembly is concerned? I have AIM but it doesnt specify the order of installation.....also, is there any way to check the original components for proper operation? ???

Hans L

• View Profile
Re: original A/C installation in a '69
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 03:32:04 AM »
Well, there are 4 major components - the condensor in front of the radiator; the compressor which mounts on the engine with brackets; the evaporater (aka "suitcase) is sandwiched between the firewall, and the balance are the hoses and misc components that attach to these.

The only one that really matters to go first would be the evaporater - ideally that is installed before the sheet metal is installed.  Thereafter, the rest of the components can be installed in any sequence, assuming your are putting your whole car together.  The hoses will need to go on last to connect the system.

Regarding proper operation - learning from experience here - make sure the heater core has been leak checked or just replace it.   I didn't do that and it starting leaking 6 months after I completed the restoration.   It is a major, major pain to replace!
https://www.instagram.com/69camarorsz28/
'69 Camaro RS Z/28 Van Nuys Built
'69 Chevelle SS 396 4 Speed

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 07:40:34 PM »
Have you read through the Heater/Air Conditioner section of the Chassis Service Manual?
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

JKZ27

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 02:25:57 AM »
That sounds like a fun puzzle. :) Assuming you have all or most of the parts, I also would start with the evaporator case and the under dash components. And, like Lakeholme said, read and understand how the vacuum, electrical, and cable systems all work together. Make sure all the ducts are sealed relatively tight with some thick foam tape.

John
John
69 RS/SS Cortez Silver, L48 MC1
68 RS Ash/Ivy Gold 327EFI M20

Springer Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 12:54:13 PM »
Thanks for the responses, fellas.....fortunately or unfortunately, the sheetmetal is installed and the car is painted :o.....I guess I can see a Chassis Service Manual in my future.....I do have a new heater core BTW,didn't want to make that mistake,thanks again guys

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 02:36:10 PM »
Patience and thorough planning/restoration are the keys to original air.
As long as we've mentioned resource books, have you seen "the reading list"?

http://www.camaros.org/crgrefs.shtml

And catch Ed's list in this thread:

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=40.0

BTW, once I got the original air straight, you could "hang meat" in my 68. We take it on long tours in the summer and enjoy the ride! Doing a 400 mile next weekend.

Have fun restoring and driving!  ;D ;D ;D
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

anything