Author Topic: Where to buy new steering and suspension components ???  (Read 9715 times)

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
Where to buy new steering and suspension components ???
« on: May 28, 2012, 02:07:35 PM »
I am rebuilding the front suspension and steering components on my 68. I'll be replacing the following items.

Control arms
Ball joints
Spindles (maybe)
Tie rod ends
Tie rod adjusting sleeves
Pitman arm
Idler arm
Rotors
Wheel bearings

Other items necessary to replace such as bushings, I am going to ask about in a seperate post.

My question is where to buy these items from. I have looked at all of them in the major part catalogs (Classic Ind, Ricks, NPD, etc.). Some parts price out pretty much the same between the catalogs. Others can differ in price quite a bit. None of them say anything about who the manufacturer is. I wouldn't have a clue as to what is good quality or what isn't. I want to make sure am getting quality parts that fit right, do the job, and hold up.

Are there any manufacturers who are recomended for these parts?............and where can I find their products?

Also, my rotors are the two piece kind. Is it recomended to stay with the two piece or are the one piece replacements just as good?

Thanks..............Dave

tmodel66

• View Profile
Re: Where to buy new steering and suspension components ???
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 02:25:56 PM »
Dave I've always had good luck using NAPA parts. Most of their parts are better/good quality. Moog is your better quality front suspension parts. Timkin bearings are still made in the U.S.A. and are best bearings. I stayed with 2 piece rotors and found just the rotors on Amazon.com cheaper than anywhere. They were Wagner or Bendex so they were good quality name brand parts.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

randfr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 02:28:33 PM »
I'm interested to hear the opinions here on this as well.  I'm (still) on the front suspension rebuild as well.

I purchased alot of parts from Classic Industries as they seem to have a more "forgiving" return policy.

I purchased my Pitman arm and hard to find parts (front shocks mounting hardware and upper control arm bushing retainers) from Steve's b/c they looked more like the ones off of my car.

I purchased my control arm shaft from Ebay b/c none of the remanufactured ones looked like the ones on my car.

Since the car isn't operational yet, can't speak to the "quality".

Question--What does anyone recommend about the tie rods and tie rod sleeves?  Is it possible to rebuild/refinish those?  Recommended replacements?

good luck,

robert

77thor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 04:34:29 PM »
Rock Auto - they carry Moog parts.
1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build
1977 Camaro, 350(LM1), M20, 10 Bolt Posi, Purchased New, (SOLD)

Petes L48

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 05:10:38 PM »
Dave I've always had good luck using NAPA parts. Most of their parts are better/good quality. Moog is your better quality front suspension parts. Timkin bearings are still made in the U.S.A. and are best bearings. I stayed with 2 piece rotors and found just the rotors on Amazon.com cheaper than anywhere. They were Wagner or Bendex so they were good quality name brand parts.

Daniel, you've found a source for buying just the rotor portion on disc brake two-piece hub/rotor assemblies?  I've seen the repops but always as the full assembly. 

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 06:02:27 PM »

Daniel, you've found a source for buying just the rotor portion on disc brake two-piece hub/rotor assemblies?  I've seen the repops but always as the full assembly. 

Yes Sir I bought mine from Amazon.com for $64.00 for the pair.
Daniel  

DT

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 08:41:31 PM »
Not all Moog parts are made in the US anymore.  Be careful.  I replaced all of my front end parts with "Classic Suspension" parts from HeartBeat City.  Yes they are made over seas, but I wanted the "Correct" OEM appearance.  Its funny hearing guys complain of certain parts being made overseas.  I would say ALL of the reproduction parts we buy for our cars are made overseas.  Just my .02
Donny

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 09:46:31 PM »
Parts for my Harley are made in China. It's sad to know even HD joined the corporate whores to use cheap foreign labor.
I heard GM may move the manufacture of the Volt to China.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

DT

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 10:35:29 PM »
Parts for my Harley are made in China. It's sad to know even HD joined the corporate whores to use cheap foreign labor.
I heard GM may move the manufacture of the Volt to China.

Mike
No S**t
Donny

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 02:23:19 AM »
I am just gettin back to this thread I started about three weeks ago.......thanks for all the input so far. I had asked about the best place to buy the following parts for my '68.

Ball joints
Spindles (maybe)
Tie rod ends
Tie rod adjusting sleeves
Pitman arm
Idler arm
Rotors
Wheel bearings

I posted this question on TC as well. There were alot of different ideas given. From all the responses (and I know not everyone agreed) it seems the majority of people felt that...........

Moog, if made in the USA, is the best quality but do not look like the originals.

Rock Auto is the best place to buy Moog made in the USA parts.

Moog parts that are not made in the USA will be lesser quality than those that are.

Anything coming out of China will be poor quality.

When I see QS900 / ISO cert stuff in the description, that means made in China.

Anything that is correct in orignal appearance is made in China
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Looking through the parts catalogs, it seems that anything that is stated to be correct in original appearance is made in China.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to have original looking parts but not at the expense of durability or safety.

So my question now are.........Has anyone bought original looking off shore parts that failed on them? Does "China" automatically equate to poor quality?

Does anyone know of original looking parts that are USA made and good quality?

Thanks........Dave

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 06:50:03 PM »
The only China parts I've had real problems with are bearings. Stay away from China bearings.
Daniel  

Paul68RS/Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 12:31:12 PM »
[/quote]

Yes Sir I bought mine from Amazon.com for $64.00 for the pair.
[/quote]

What brand/part number did you buy?

JKZ27

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 02:01:00 PM »
Timken wheel bearings I believe are the best and are still readily available.

I too am very interested in the two piece front rotor information, brand/seller.

John
John
69 RS/SS Cortez Silver, L48 MC1
68 RS Ash/Ivy Gold 327EFI M20

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 02:58:06 PM »

I got mine on Amazon.com. Here's the part number and it's a Bendix  part.      Bendix    PRT1213
Daniel  

Paul68RS/Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2012, 12:57:41 AM »
Daniel,

It looks like that part number is for a 69 Camaro, front rotor,r single piston. Some of the other sites listed as rear disc, 65 vette. Are you using this with a dual piston, 68 Camaro spindle?

Thanks,

Paul

anything