CRG Discussion Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 01, 2014, 07:33:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the CRG Discussion Forum!
Forum registration problems: Make sure you enter your email correctly and you check your spam box first. *Then* email KurtS2@gmail for help.
105008 Posts in 12267 Topics by 4728 Members
Latest Member: MartySS
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  CRG Discussion Forum
|-+  Camaro Research Group Discussion
| |-+  Restoration
| | |-+  Subframe
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Subframe  (Read 585 times)
Rich F

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2012, 10:28:08 AM »

Does anyone know if the cross member and trans mount are offset on a 69 firebird subframe vs a 69 Camaro?

I have not been able to find information on the location of these, just the body mount and radiator mount locations.

I am currently in the process of restoring a 69 396 Camaro and the Engine seems to be to far forward. 
The subframe is out of a 69 Firebird which i was told would work. All the mounting holes to mount the body / radiator were the same.
The motor mounts are in correctly with the taller mount on the drivers side.

The Z bar for the cluth is not straight and is angled towards the front of the car and the driveshaft is short about 1".

Help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Rich

Paul68RS/Z28

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 05:28:01 PM »

Rich,

I can't remember the exact details, but I had a friend put their mounts onto the frame incorrectly, resulting in the motor sitting about an inch forward. I honestly can't remember how they did it, but I will tell you I was there to lift the engine, and put the mounts back into the correct locations/holes. The frame was out of a Firebird, not sure if that was part of the problem or not, just remember the whole thing was a real PITA. Can't speak to the cross shaft, car was an automatic.

I'll actually see that car in June, I'll take a look and see if I can see how they had made the mistake in the first place.
DT

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 05:46:52 PM »

A firebird crossmember looks identical (almost) to a Chevy BB 4 speed crossmember. They are different.  The subframe will work.

Donny
Rich F

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 08:52:19 AM »

Any idea on why the z-bar would be angled towards the front of the car on the engine?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: