Author Topic: Plastic bezel repair  (Read 3962 times)

sdkar

• View Profile
Plastic bezel repair
« on: May 16, 2012, 09:49:41 PM »
Hey guys,

Who do you recommend for repairing dash bezels?  The lower corner of the steering column opening broke off and I need to have it repaired.  Is there a guy out there who is good at repairing plastic bezels.  Also, is there a Do-It-Yourself kit where I can do it myself and have decent results.

Thanks,

Steve

lcmc

• View Profile
Re: Plastic bezel repair
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 11:18:05 PM »
Hey guys,

Who do you recommend for repairing dash bezels?  The lower corner of the steering column opening broke off and I need to have it repaired.  Is there a guy out there who is good at repairing plastic bezels.  Also, is there a Do-It-Yourself kit where I can do it myself and have decent results.

Thanks,

Steve

I had Tony's Auto Classic restore my 70 Nova bezel. Did a great job. He specializes in Mustangs but will do all cars.

http://www.tonysautoclassics.com/
Danny
1969 Z/28 X77
1970 Nova L78 9300 original miles

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 11:57:51 PM »
If it's that mindless do it yourself. 3M and SEM make adhesives and rigid parts repair for many applications and materials. I've heard of guys using JB Weld. Do you have the corner piece? If not the aforementioned will work.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 03:15:55 AM »
I've repaired several 69 dashes with JB Weld, including rebuilding the wiper switch mounts.
Kurt S
CRG

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 06:27:25 PM »
X2 on the JB weld. BUT, you must bevel the remaining plastic to create a wider (rough) surface for the epoxy to adhere to.  I just did a butt joint and used the JB to recreate the whole tab (was completly missing).  lasted about a year. it is on my list to redo and I think I am going to use some fiberglass window screening to re-inforce the jbweld.

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 07:28:59 PM »
X2 on the JB weld. BUT, you must bevel the remaining plastic to create a wider (rough) surface for the epoxy to adhere to.  I just did a butt joint and used the JB to recreate the whole tab (was completely missing).  lasted about a year. it is on my list to redo and I think I am going to use some fiberglass window screening to reinforce the jbweld.

I've had very good results on plastics with using a screen support as described above.
JB is great epoxy. I use the JB cold weld on a 4" stress crack that I drilled stopped above a freeze out plug in my 396 block (apparently previous owner didn't use correct antifreeze levels) 25 years ago and it still is there and no leaks today.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 02:35:47 PM »
I should mention that when redoing the wiper studs, I put a lightly oiled screw in place and built up the tower around it. And built it bigger than original too.
Kurt S
CRG