Author Topic: Convert old factory AM radio for iPod  (Read 7247 times)

sdkar

• View Profile
Convert old factory AM radio for iPod
« on: May 11, 2012, 02:02:26 AM »
Hey guys,

I see that they sell correct AM looking radios for our Camaros to play our iPods on them.  However, I have a correct and nice looking AM radio already and I don't want to pay a small fortune for one of these radios when I am sure this is something I can do myself if I can just find the right parts.  Does anyone sell a kit or the parts or whatever that would allow me to have a plug in or a cable under my dash that I can plug my iPod into and play it through to the speakers?  Where would I find this item?

Thanks,

Steve

Petes L48

• View Profile
Re: Convert old factory AM radio for iPod
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 02:18:51 AM »
I think they normally gut the radio and put in modern electronics.  At Carlisle I overheard one of these shops saying it started at $300 and you supply the core.

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 11:36:04 AM »
You can buy two units to make this happen but its still only going to be AM mono quality if that's your radio feature set.
The first unit you need is for the iPod to plug into and that unit then broadcasts the iPod on an unused FM frequency. 
If you can find one that offers broadcasts on AM too then you are done and do not need the second unit.
The second unit is an FM converter that plugs in to the antenna lead at the back of the radio and broadcasts FM frequencies on an un-used AM channel.

Quality again will only be as good as the base radio - minus the one or two steps down each unit is going to make int he quality.  Then you also will have to power up and cosmetically hide or not hide the other units.

You may reconsider buying a new reproduction radio that looks old but have all the modern guts including satellite, mp3/ipod and AM FM as the easier way to hook up the ipod.   
1969 Z-11 350/300 with 4 Speed
TeamCamaro - Moderator

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 02:18:35 PM »
I'm thinking about getting one of THESE. That way I don't have to butcher my original radio. It's only $100 shipped, so it's a lot cheaper than the conversion. (around $400)

Ed

joesauer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 04:35:37 PM »
I'm considering this too.  I'm thinking of mounting the IPOD, with a powered connector to keep it charged, in the ash tray.  Would retain the existing ash tray, put some sort of moulded holder in it so the IPOD is secure but removable, and put in a permanently wired IPOD jack/charger connection.  Was planning to install an original face/modern guts radio...not sure which manufacturer.  Thoughts?

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 06:48:33 PM »
Ed,

Your suggestion is exactly what I was looking for.  I really don't want to chop of the radio at all and kinda like that old mono AM sound that it makes.  To be honest, there are quite a few decent AM stations where I live and the factory radio ain't too bad when playing them.  I have decent speakers, so they help for sure.  I don't need FM and I just wanted to play my ipod in my car, which it looks like your suggestion will do perfectly.  Thanks for the heads up.

Steve