Author Topic: Color coded brake end fittings  (Read 10729 times)

Mike S

• View Profile
Color coded brake end fittings
« on: May 05, 2012, 06:36:53 PM »
 In the process of re-restoring my 67 conv and looking at the brake lines available today I see color coded fittings for use around the master cylinder.
Back in the 80's I used GM bulk steel brake lines plus armor and reused the original master cylinder fittings because they were in excellent shape at that time but I never recall seeing colors on the different sizes.
I checked my survivor and they are also in good shape and show no signs of color. Is that something new today and if so, is it acceptable for judging?

Thank you,
Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

RPOZ11

• View Profile
Re: Color coded brake end fittings
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 08:39:52 PM »
You should be fine.
If you are in a points restoration event being Judged,
Then I would suspect that your lines be as similar as originally made.
Your color coded ends will need to be correct, in the same way as original if you are being judged.

I took my original lines in to be replated.
The fittings were then "pickled"; a term for dippIng the ends to replace those with the correct coloring.

I did mine over 13 years ago.
Not sure who does this process today. 
VN Pacecar

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 09:14:05 PM »
 When I remade the lines in the 80's I paid special attention to length, shape and armor measurements and that was when I had no intentions to really show the car.
So, you are saying that there are colors (besides the gold I see on all the others fittings outside the master cylinder areas)? I'll check out In-Line Tube to see if they are exact to the originals on the master cylinder. The originals have more of a flat face to them.

Thanks,
Mike

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 02:00:43 AM »
Good question but have not heard of anyone having points deducted in this area. Several CRG members have had their cars judged at Legends, etc. so hopefully some of them will respond.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 01:45:29 PM »
Mike,
Stainless steel lines are acceptable in judging (safety item) so I would think that the fastener color wound be of Little concern. ;D
Bob

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 03:25:48 PM »
Hi Bob,

I have seen SS lines on restored to factory appearance cars and they stand out easily. I couldn't figure that out......restore to correct gloss, texture, dates, parts, over spray, etc..etc..etc.....and yet use SS lines when the correct was plated steel. Go figure!   ;D

Mike

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 02:44:20 AM »
Mike,
There are several components that there is leeway given for safety reasons. Look a replacement rubber brake hose lines, look at the crimp on the connector ends, Headlights, Ball joints and others. Believe it has something to to with DOT and products driven on the street.
Having shows and judging cars so that people will pay is a balancing act. If you make the rules too tight only the rich can restore or own them. Make them too loose and you will not get quality cars.
Paying $600.00 for an NOS radiator cap is well on the way of being out of the reach of the average Joe. :o
Sorry, sometimes I go off the deep end. I guess may age is showing. ;D
Bob

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 05:27:19 AM »
I looked at a 69 Corvair with 40 miles. Mint under the hood and it had colored fittings. They weren't bright, but definitely were different colors.
No, no pics.
Kurt S
CRG

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 04:31:26 PM »
Hi Bob,

I have seen SS lines on restored to factory appearance cars and they stand out easily. I couldn't figure that out......restore to correct gloss, texture, dates, parts, over spray, etc..etc..etc.....and yet use SS lines when the correct was plated steel. Go figure!   ;D

Mike

I don't know about Camaro judging, but in NCRS Corvette Flight Judging, any stainless steel component automatically gets a 50% standard deduction.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 05:09:41 PM »
John,
Does that relate to safety items as well?
Bob

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 01:15:36 AM »
 I'll go with the steel lines then. I know item such as ball joints, brake hoses, repo tires, etc... we have no choice if the design has changed through the years, but for brake lines we still have a choice.
The ones I made in the 80's still look great other than the armor is slightly oxidized in some areas but that was due to my eventual stopping of an annual application with a preservative oil.
Hmmm....maybe steel with SS armor is the trick.

Mike

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 03:33:22 PM »
John,
Bob

Safety items don't matter - there were no stainless steel chassis parts on Corvettes originally, so any found in judging will get a 50% deduction. Reproduction TBW steel brake and fuel lines get full credit if they're correctly made, and they'll last at least 50 years the way the cars are driven and maintained today, so why bother with stainless? If you prefer stainless, that's fine, but they'll get a deduction.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 11:29:38 PM »
John,
Bob

Safety items don't matter - .

Do you know if the repro belts are manufactured to the same standard as today's belts?  I had a repro belt on my Z and it tanked a couple of days ago.  It's been on 3 years but maybe 1000 miles at most.
68Z28

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 02:25:17 PM »
John,
Bob

Safety items don't matter - .

Do you know if the repro belts are manufactured to the same standard as today's belts?  I had a repro belt on my Z and it tanked a couple of days ago.  It's been on 3 years but maybe 1000 miles at most.

I have reproduction belts (Quanta) on my '69Z (with original smog pump and power steering), and no issues over about 3,000 miles and ten years; however, I carry Goodyear Gatorback and Dayco "Top Cog" spares in the trunk just in case. Have also had Quanta belts on my '67 Corvette for ten years with no issues. Both cars have original deep-groove pulleys; pulley alignment is critical for belt life.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 05:13:47 PM »
I've got a spare now too. My alignment is right on, but the water pump pulley is a little wobbly.  I don't know why either.  It was an NOS one. Thanks John.
68Z28

anything