Author Topic: Quarter Window Reinforcement Bracket for 69 Camaro  (Read 5196 times)

sdkar

• View Profile
Quarter Window Reinforcement Bracket for 69 Camaro
« on: May 03, 2012, 11:36:26 PM »
Hey guys,

I need to install the quarter window reinforcement brackets. 

http://www.heartbeatcitycamaro.com/store/product/21434/Camaro-Quarter-window-reinforcement-R-67-68-69/

Anyone know where I can find a decent video or diagram on exactly how these install?  I have the assembly manual but cannot find it in there.  Did I miss it? 

Thanks,

Steve

Sauron327

• View Profile
Re: Quarter Window Reinforcement Bracket for 69 Camaro
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 12:57:18 AM »
I just installed those. But I left them attached to the body and drilled the spotwelds when I yanked the quarters. You have to weld the back to the C-pillar and attach it to the quarter by welding or panel bond. It won't be in the AIM; it does not tell you how to weld a shell together. Are the quarter stiffeners in place near the trunk gutter or are those missing also?

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 01:08:31 AM »
My Camaro had new quarters put on them before I owned it and they never installed these.  Is it possible you can send me a pic or post one showing where they go so I can install these?

Thanks,

Steve
sdkar@bellsouth.net

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 01:13:38 AM »
Affimative. If a response is not received within 24 send a reminder. Look in the trunk and see if the other ones are missing also.

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 01:33:57 AM »
Yes, the ones in the trunk are missing as well and I bought them at the same time as the qtr window braces.  I pretty much know where to install the trunk/qtr panel braces, but the qtr window ones have me perplexed.
Thanks for the help. 

Steve

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 04:30:02 PM »
Also, I have heard that the trunk braces install with a type of adhesive/caulk.  Is there a specific kind or type?  What is recommended on the trunk braces and where exactly would the attachment places be on the part.  As for the quarter window braces, they appear to be a simple mig-weld in a few spots and they are done.

What adhesive do you guys think will work best?

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 04:39:34 PM »
I have found this stuff on the internet.  Looks like it will work.  However, maybe this is overkill for what I am doing.  It is certainly not cheap...but then again, nothing is too good for my Camaro.  I might have to skip a Saturday night out with dinner with the misses and have her instead cook me something in the kitchen so i can afford a tube of this stuff.  She won't mind I'm sure.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Marine/Home/Products/Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECIE20S4K7000000_nid=ZCGVCG2BKFgsQH8HT14PGTglZN846KBPCRbl

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?mwsId=66666UuZjcFSLXTtmxfaLXf2EVuQEcuZgVs6EVs6E666666--&fn=DFU_04274.pdf

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 07:56:07 PM »
I addressed the stiffeners on this thread: http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=8653.0 The NVH you chose is fine and not overkill. It's what your supposed to use. SEM makes it too. It's being anal to use both panel bond and NVH as I mentioned in that thread. Most don't have both lying around. Just NVH is fine. You can cheat and use any adhesive that remains flexible. Yes the quarter window braces are just spotwelded. Drill holes in the quarter, clamp and mig them. I took a photo but if you don't need it I won't bother uploading.

Some jobbers lend out dispensor guns. Some don't because the privilage was abused.

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 12:18:45 AM »
Sauron, if you can, please send me whatever pic(s) you have of the braces.  Instead of going thru the trouble of sizing them and posting them here (and if it is easier), just send them to my email. 

Thanks,

Steve
sdkar@bellsouth.net

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 05:39:08 AM »
I obtained a pic of this quarter panel bracket installed and it looks like there is still a slight gap that will have to be filled. 

Before I ordered these, I made a boxed bracket and tacked it in and it filled the gap completely.  I only bought these because I was sure that the correct part would work better than my rigged up part I made.  I guess I was wrong.  Has anyone else had this problem with this part not completely filling in the gap? 

Steve

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 10:35:26 AM »
The factory applied a type of putty in that valley/gap prior to paint. I use seam sealer. The brace in the photo I sent is original and never removed from the C-pillar.

anything