Author Topic: AMD Suframes - Quality, fitment, and finish ???  (Read 8899 times)

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
AMD Suframes - Quality, fitment, and finish ???
« on: May 18, 2012, 09:14:04 PM »
I am trying to get some feedback on AMD subframes. I have read through the archives but still can't find the answers I am looking for.

Can anyone speak from their own experiace as to their quality, fit, and finish? Can anyone say if they bolt up to the body OK and if all the front end sheet metal and suspension components fit up to it correctly. And do they they hold up once installed and put through their paces on the street?...........or are they like so many other repro products....Close, but not quite right....and have to be modified?

I am surprised there has not been more discussion on them. You would think when these came out, that it would have been a huge breakthrough and everyone would be getting them..... I also wonder why the price has dropped twice since the were first introduced? Not selling well?

Thanks,
Dave

Sauron327

• View Profile
Re: AMD Suframes - Quality, fitment, and finish ???
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 11:28:08 PM »
You could ask at Team Camaro or Team Nova. Subframes are not hard to find; and complete for less than their bare product.

DT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 11:54:21 AM »
I have heard of fitment issues with body panels, look for a good used GM one. They are all over EBay.
Here is one on Team Camaro;
http://www.camaros.net/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=49848&cat=8
Donny

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 11:56:59 AM »
You could ask at Team Camaro or Team Nova. Subframes are not hard to find; and complete for less than their bare product.

Dave, I agree with Scott! Try locating a donor sub-frame as there have been so many modified Camaro's its usually not too hard to locate/purchase.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 12:37:00 PM »
 AMD claims the chassis sags over time which accounts for the need to add more and more shims to the caster/camber. If that is true then wouldn't it sound logical that even though a used 40 years +GM chassis is available that you would still face the same sagging issues?
  Just a thought.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 01:30:29 PM »
AMD claims the chassis sags over time which accounts for the need to add more and more shims to the caster/camber. If that is true then wouldn't it sound logical that even though a used 40 years +GM chassis is available that you would still face the same sagging issues?
  Just a thought.

Mike
Where in their product description is this stated? I'd like to see how it's worded. I never had a collapsing problem where repetetive alignments were required. It's not like a Mustang with collapsing towers.

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 04:03:56 PM »
I'll find the exact article. It was either Hemmings Muscle Machines or Chevy High Performance I read earlier this year. It clearly mentioned inward chassis sag due to the design which can lead to adding more shims and it specifically referred to the repo replacement. I never thought that as a possibility until I read that and I never heard of AMD before that article so I went to the web site they posted to read more on the chassis. I was considering it for my hardtop when I restore that but decided to keep the original one out of nostalgic reasons.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

DT

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 04:09:53 PM »
  Just a thought.

Mike
I have heard of this as well. Moog even sells an offset upper control arm shaft to compensate.  Having said that, who wants to deal with body panels not lining up when a couple of shims and/or the Moog control arm shaft will solve the problem.  Jusy my .02
Donny

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 04:44:18 PM »
What's the % of subframes with this problem that requires shaft replacement? Not including hammered track cars. Not sure what it has to do with panel alignment since sheetmetal does not rely on the subframe for that. You can drop a subframe and the sheetmetal maintains it's position. Subframes are on Craigslist quite often.

DT

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 05:28:50 PM »
What's the % of subframes with this problem that requires shaft replacement? Not including hammered track cars. Not sure what it has to do with panel alignment since sheetmetal does not rely on the subframe for that. You can drop a subframe and the sheetmetal maintains it's position. Subframes are on Craigslist quite often.
Good point.  Here is something interesting:
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=208615
Donny

rooter11

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 01:59:23 AM »
I used a AMD subframe and had no problem putting suspension together. The body shop put frame back on the body with no complaints and body lines look good. Front end has not yet been aligned. As far as the finish goes the welds are way better than factory. There is some spatter from welding but not bad. To paint I just went over it with scotch brite and painted. Over all I was happy with it. If you would like some pics send me your email

Rooter

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 08:38:58 PM »
Thanks to all who responeded to my original post. I was hoping to hear more favorable news about the subframes. I put this question out on Team Camaro too and so far, have heard more negative than positve.

The reason I put the question out on the AMD frames is that I just pulled my original frame out and got it stripped to the bare frame and found more damage than I expected. I thought the AMD frame might be the answer but now am not sure. I am going put out a post about my original frame to get opinions if it beyond repair or not....I am going to do that next and go from there.

Router11...Glad you had good luck with yours. I will take you up on your offer to send picture of your subframe. I will send my e-mail in a PM.

Thanks,
Dave

JKZ27

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 12:05:08 AM »
You know, people replace subframes for alot of reasons. Some people "upgrade" to a new style frame or remove a good one from a rusted shell, but also there are a bunch laying around that are bent or have rusted body mount points and you have to decide if its worth repairing. I replaced the frame in my 68 because it was bent. I replaced it with a decent used 68 camaro frame that cost me $400. I made sure when I went to buy a frame, I took measurments to check for straightness. As for the frames "sagging" over time and requiring additional shims... seems to me you would have to remove shims to maintain the camber angle, therfore, running out of shims.
I may have considered buying a new frame for my 68 if they were available at the time. My 2 cents.  :)

John
John
69 RS/SS Cortez Silver, L48 MC1
68 RS Ash/Ivy Gold 327EFI M20

anything