Author Topic: Fueling my '68 in Calif.  (Read 8125 times)

joesauer

• View Profile
Fueling my '68 in Calif.
« on: April 24, 2012, 05:14:00 PM »
Last Spring I did a post, looking for suggestions on how to pump fuel into a '68 without spilling any.  Live in Calif. (Bay Area) where we have those nasty pump nozzels that are great for the environment, but make it real difficult to get a tight seal at the fuel tank neck.  I've tried several after market devices (clamps, u shaped slip-ons).  Tried sticking my finger against the nozzle rubber, etc.  Nothing seems to work.  Currently, putting my 68 year old knees on the ground, press the fuel nozzel tight as I can against the filler opening, and hope for no leakage (no leakage jokes please).  Usually back off every 2/3 gallons to let air out of the tank.  Still get some fuel spill untill I get the nozzel position and seal just right. Any suggestions?

vtfb68

• View Profile
Re: Fueling my '68 in Calif.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 05:55:47 PM »
Joe,
 Same place same thing. You seem to be doing everything right, I have found that cocking the nozzle to one side ( while lifting up on the nozzle) to allow an air gap between the car and the rubber lip will allow smooth filling.
  VT
68 05C LA RS/SS U2 712 L34 M21 BR
68 08E LA RS Y2 749 L30 M35
67 11B LA  RS/SS M-1 797-Z L48 M21  Convertible

LM69Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 06:08:38 AM »
Go Buy 5 Gallon or larger capacity fuel containers, fill them at the gas pump then take them home and pump your own gas right from the jugs.......easier to control and safer than not being able to get the pump nozzle to fit right. Some places like Gariots Garage ( sp) or California Car Cover or even Auto Zone may sell what you need. I bought my 5 gallon jugs at an auto swap meet. Use the jugs with the long neck like the dirt bikers do and it should work fine..........I live in So. Cal and it should not be a problem? Put some towels on the bumper to soak up any spillage and pour slowly and keep track of tank volume and what you have and put in to avoid overfilling. Good luck
LM69Z28 ;)

jacmac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 11:55:07 PM »
I fill my car up at home too  just put some thick plastic between the fuel inlet & lower valance over the license plate in case I get a little ver fill.
69 Z10,69 ss396Chevelle, 71 Corvette

srode

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 12:02:29 AM »
I used to get splash back all the time filling my boat and found turning the nozzle upside down prevents it - have you tried it?
Steve - 02D Z11 and a Plain Jane hardtop

LM69Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 12:29:40 AM »
Plastic neck (filler hose) on 5 gal. jugs WILL NOT scratch your beautifully restored and painted rear panel or chrome bumper if its bounced around a bit like what can happen at the gas station pumps. Another plus with home fill ups is its also good exercise since a full 5 gal. jug weighs about 35Lbs.
LM69Z28 ;)

IZRSSS

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 12:50:58 AM »
We don't have this problem in NM because those bellowed nozzles you guys have in Cal aren't a requirement. Here I can use the "sound fill-up" method. Although those days are numbered. Hearing is another one of those things that goes away like eye sight. :(  

Has anyone ever tried a funnel? I came across this idea reading through a thread at TC. Talk about really looking pathetic at a gas station but if it works, what the hey...it's reply #14; http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=160325. Anyway you slice it, it's hard to look cool filling up a First Gen. :-\

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 12:56:08 AM »
Where I live, there's a Shell station that has a much smaller bellows than the other gas stations in the area. I'm not sure why, but it works much better. The smaller bellows allows the nozzle to be pushed in much farther, eliminating the splash back you get from the others. It also allows filling at a much faster rate. When I fill up at Sam's Club, it takes several minutes because I have to go VERY slow. When I fill up at the Shell station, it only takes a few minutes.

I'm not sure what's available in your area, but see if there's a Shell station close to you.

Ed

IZRSSS

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 12:40:22 PM »
Here is a fuel guard sold by Griot's Garage. A guy can probably make something just a effective with an old tire tube.

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 09:06:15 PM »
I was actually thinking of an adapter that would attach like a gas cap, stick out farther, at least a couple inches, be designed to work with (or defeat) the vapor recovery system, and allow trouble free fuelling. Could even have a carry case and be kept in the trunk.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 01:34:19 AM »
Confiscated Frat house funnel works for my 69.  ;D We have similar nozzles here in Connecticut.

Tubing is same width as diameter of the inside of the filler so it fits tight.
Tube and the funnel are available at any big box store for a few bucks.
Thick walls and wont melt from the alcohol in the fuel - after all it was used to chug beer.
Stores away easy in the trunk.
Fill from home from a Gerry-Can using the funnel or at the station from the nozzle just using the tube as an extension - just have to make sure I don't overfill.

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=200545&highlight=funnel
and
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=160325&highlight=funnel
1969 Z-11 350/300 with 4 Speed
TeamCamaro - Moderator

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 04:31:47 PM »
Like everything else from California, those nozzles came to OR a while back.  I turn the nozzle upside down and have no problems, but I have a 68.
68Z28

joesauer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2012, 09:54:12 PM »
Ed, tried your suggestion of looking for a Shell pump with better bellows.  Found some Shell's and one 76 station in Marin Country has the narrower bellows.  With that, plus turning the nozzle upside down, and a few paper towels , fueling is not perfect, but much better.  Thanks for the suggestion. 

anything