Author Topic: Reproduction AM/FM quality?  (Read 16822 times)

bertfam

• View Profile
Reproduction AM/FM quality?
« on: April 23, 2012, 04:04:16 PM »
Anyone know anything about THIS RADIO? It's very pricy (all the repop houses sell it for about the same price), but my radio just died and it would cost close to that to get it fixed. And even then it would still be 50 year old technology. This one "appears" correct, but I haven't seen it up close so there may be some minor differences.

Basically I'd like to know if it really DOES look "correct", how does it sound and how's the overall manufacture quality. It's actually made in the US by ANTIQUE AUTOMOBILE RADIO, so hopefully, that's a plus!

Thanks in advance...

Ed

tmodel66

• View Profile
Re: Reproduction AM/FM quality?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 04:51:05 PM »
Ed I don't know about this radio but I got my dash speaker from them and it was spot on. A friend that got a radio from them recommended these guys to me. His radio was for a '62 Gold Edition Impala and it looks great.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 05:19:40 PM »
Ed -

The ultimate "go-to" guy for 50's-60's-70's Corvette radios is Jerry Rudbeck, www.electrodesign.us - he's the best (and most honest) radio guy I've ever dealt with. He restores/rebuilds signal-seeking Wonderbar radios better than new, and can add aux inputs as well. You might touch base with him and see if he does Camaro radios too.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 08:40:45 PM by KurtS »
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 08:11:23 PM »
For guys with 69,s Ausley Chevelles in NC sells 69 chevelle unit (exactly like the camaro for $299.00. Looks and sounds great, only thing is the display is digital but you can only tell if it is on. I had 2 others converted by the Florida guys which kept the original AM dial which looks good you just have to preset FM channels. I hear the same outfit makes all the units and others buy their parts.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 08:13:58 PM »
Thanks gents. Much appreciated.

Ed

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 08:58:58 PM »
thumbs up
1969 Z-11 350/300 with 4 Speed
TeamCamaro - Moderator

srode

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 10:08:45 PM »
Ed, there was a conversation over on Camaros.net recently about them.  The feedback was they look great but the sound quality is not up to today's standards for radios.  No comments that I remember about the build quality. 
Steve - 02D Z11 and a Plain Jane hardtop

srode

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 12:03:38 AM »
here's the link to the discussion over there

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=207002

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 02:51:59 AM »
Thanks Steve. Looks like there aren't too many options. Go with the reproduction and get an "okay" radio, have someone convert my radio and get an "okay" radio, or go aftermarket and get a good-great radio, but loose originality.

Ed

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 01:01:49 PM »
Larry rebuilds original radios with modern components and sells reproductions. He will also recommend which speakers will produce the best sound at minimal cost. I used to supply him with cores. Have not spoken to him lately.
http://www.woodradios.com/index.htm

IZRSSS

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 01:14:53 PM »
Here is another good discussion over at TC & some descent pics, right out of the box; http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=130127

FWIW, I sure like John & Scott's idea's. And if you choose to keep it original I hear this guy is pretty good for re-coning speakers; Jackson Speaker Service, 3921 Pine Crest Ct, Jackson MI  49203 (517)789-6400. Got this contact from SS.

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 02:16:07 PM »
Ed I talked with a local guy that builds high end A and T models, Edsels and such and he said Electro-Tech is the Best in the business.
Here's their link.      http://turnswitch.com/
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

jacmac

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 11:53:20 PM »
Ed,I bought one a couple of years ago.The radio seems fine & sound is ok! What seemed cheesy was when I turn the tuning dial the indicator seems to jump back & forth a little.The radio weights practically nothing & comes with MP3,IPOD,CD,or XM "satellite" inputs.Not a bad radio but $600.00 is a little steep.Overall I give it a 7.I believe their built in Palm Harbor,Florida.
69 Z10,69 ss396Chevelle, 71 Corvette

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 06:22:08 PM »
I have a 69 convertible and one thing I did to improve music output is first, put the two channel/two speaker setup in the dash that is offered by Rick's Camaros. 

http://www.rickscamaros.com/camaro-kenwood-in-dash-speakers-for-cars-without-air-conditioning.html

I then installed 4x6 plate speakers on the kick panels and used the factory speaker grille like original.    I used infinity Kappa 462.5cfp speakers which is a two way speaker with a mid and a tweeter incorporated.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-mk6dETU5DBP/p_1084625CFP/Infinity-Kappa-462-5cfp.html

http://www.rickscamaros.com/camaro-radio-speaker-grilles-kick-panel-1967-1969.html

Of course, you could use any decent 4x6 plate speaker that will fit under the factory kick panel grille covers. 

Because I have a convertible, I chose to do without any rear speakers since the factory 6x9's would be buried under the top when it is down and would not provide much in the way of noise.

These four front speakers provide pretty decent sound and clarity.  It may not be the best sound system available, but everything fits in a stock location and is hidden and looks original and provides nice sound quality for not a big dollar investment and no cutting up the car to do it.

srode

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 09:42:06 PM »

These four front speakers provide pretty decent sound and clarity.  It may not be the best sound system available, but everything fits in a stock location and is hidden and looks original and provides nice sound quality for not a big dollar investment and no cutting up the car to do it.
Steve, What do you have for a head unit?

anything