Author Topic: broken fender bolt  (Read 5911 times)

MikeT

• View Profile
broken fender bolt
« on: July 07, 2006, 09:58:29 PM »
Was wondering what can be done to "fix" a broken bolt on a 68 Camaro which fastened the rear part of the fender (passenger side)
to where it normally is attached under the firewall.

I have tried the normal stuff, like an easy out...but that did not work.  I have managed to drill out the bolt, but the nut that I think was attached to the body has come loose...and probably does not have thread any longer to hold the new bolt.

I assume that this is common...since the car has sat around for such a long time, and the other cars I have are in the same condition.

Hope all of this makes sense.  I just hope that someone can tell me a common (not too hard or expensive) way to fix this.

Thanks,

Mike T.

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
Re: broken fender bolt
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 11:34:31 PM »
Note red arrow - pic is from a '69.

Is your fender on or off of the car?  If it is off, shouldn't be too difficult to fix.  If it is still on, you might want to consider taking it off to gain access.  Nut is tack welded to the lower fender support as shown in the picture.  In the pic, the bolt and shims are in place so I wouldn't loose them while other work was ongoing.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 11:43:20 PM by rich69rs »
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

MikeT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 08:31:50 PM »
I think that your picture shows the incorrect placement.  My problem is the rearmost place on the front fender where a bolt attached the fender to the bottom of the car. This place is almost directly below the hinges of the door on the underside of the car.
I have cut a small "window" in the sheet metal to try to see what I can do.  Not sure if there was a nut welded to the inside of this area or what. Seems like a nut is in there, but loose...with a hole in the middle that will no longer accomodate a bolt.  Hope this makes sense.

Mike T.

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006, 09:56:19 PM »
The rear most mounting location, as you have discovered, utilizes a captured nut in the body.  Fortunately, when I disassembled the front end of my '69 RS including removal of the sub frame, I didn't have any issues - everything came loose.  Best I can offer is this pic which shows both lower bolt locations.  Having the fender off still might be beneficial, but I'll defer to those who have dealt with this.

Good luck.

Richard
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 05:14:20 AM by rich69rs »
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

MikeT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2006, 11:34:32 PM »
This picture shows the correct placement for the problem I have.  Thought about cutting a hole large enough for a nut to fit into and weld the nut in....so that I can bolt the fender to the body.  Is this to crude?  Is there another way to address this?

Anyone got experience with this?

Thanks,
Mike T/

anything