Author Topic: Replacing horn and cap  (Read 5880 times)

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
Replacing horn and cap
« on: June 29, 2006, 11:05:10 AM »
I am in the process of replacing the horn parts of the steering wheel in my 67 Camaro. I ordered a repair kit for the horn and when it arrived it had all the parts I expected but it also has something I did not find on my car when I removed the horn cap. I received a rubber "donut" for lack of a better term, that appears to be something that is installed onto the back of the horn cap. Is this a true statement if so, what is the purpose?

dab67

Steve68

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Replacing horn and cap
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 12:26:18 AM »
dab67

The "donut" must be installed in the cap for the horn to work as it makes contact with the concave metal piece sitting in the bottom part of the center of the wheel.  When you push on the cap the donut contacts the metal causing it to flatten out and this causes it to contact the "eyelet" that protrudes up through the hub (electrical contact-horn blows).  If that's not exactly right on the actual workings I'm sure someone will correct me however I'm certain for the need of the donut.

Steve.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 12:40:24 AM by Steve68 »

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 10:07:23 AM »
Thanks Steve!!!!!!!!!!

That makes sense.

And that maybe the reason, besides some worn out parts, that the horn worked only once in awhile.

dab67

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 11:12:38 PM »
 :-[ Well Steve:

I must really be braindead or something. The reason my car did not have a "donut" for the horn cap is because on the wood steering wheels, which I have, it was not used!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My problem was the contact for the horn has 3 plastic tabs, but mine only had two of them still intact. I found a new contact at the swap meet this weekend in Iola, Wi. I replaced that and the horn works like a charm.

dab67

Steve68

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 11:28:42 PM »
Great!!  I wondered how things turned out.  Glad to hear you got it working. 

Steve