Author Topic: Three electrical questions...  (Read 5091 times)

1967RS/SS

• View Profile
Three electrical questions...
« on: April 21, 2012, 10:47:48 PM »
1.  This star washer fell out from behind the dash around the headlight and/or windshield washer switches, but the switches were not removed.  Where does it go?

2.  Is this yellow wire the radio power?

3.  What are these blue and brown wires near the top right of the fuse box to?

1967 RS/SS L-48
Van Nuys 01C
Joseph

flyingskibiker

• View Profile
Re: Three electrical questions...
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 12:07:29 AM »
1. Usually a star washer means ground.  Though, in that area, there usually isn't a separate ground wire for anything.  In '68 there was a ground wire added to the instrument cluster that goes to the pedal support brace.  You might have to just try to get in there and look around for a wire hanging or an empty hole.  Not easy, I know...

2. Yes, the radio power wire is Yellow.  And that looks like the correct type of connector for it, too.

3.  Do your headlight doors work?  That is the connector for them.  Correct colors, too.  I believe it is in the correct location, as well.

1967RS/SS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 01:35:11 AM »
1. Usually a star washer means ground.  Though, in that area, there usually isn't a separate ground wire for anything.  In '68 there was a ground wire added to the instrument cluster that goes to the pedal support brace.  You might have to just try to get in there and look around for a wire hanging or an empty hole.  Not easy, I know...

2. Yes, the radio power wire is Yellow.  And that looks like the correct type of connector for it, too.

3.  Do your headlight doors work?  That is the connector for them.  Correct colors, too.  I believe it is in the correct location, as well.

Yeah, I am not totally sold on the washer being there for a ground so if anyone has any other ideas of what it might be for  let me know.  It has me stumped, as it seems it was more stuck to something than connected to something.  When I pulled out my old dash harness to replace with a new one it just fell out, I just cant figure from where???

As for the headlight doors, is that connection off the dash harness?  I have that installed but do not see/remember a connection from the dash harness to that connection near the fuse box.  Or is that connected to a different harness (ie rear, engine, ect.)  Thanks for the help...     
1967 RS/SS L-48
Van Nuys 01C
Joseph

adjudimo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 03:55:55 AM »
I suspect that the ground star washer in picture is the one that goes on the wiper switch between dash housing and switch on the back side of dash. Looks exactly like it and maybe someone at one time took it off and it fell down somewhere and they installed a different one possibly. It is needed for the wipers to function properly. Check there first. The wires and plug connect underdash to the rally sport diode extension harness generally located somewhere above or around the steering column unless it was moved over a bit. Just went to garage and to my 67 RSSS and confirmed. And like mentioned earlier, the yellow is for the radio.
J.R.