Author Topic: '67 wiper pump  (Read 4403 times)

adjudimo

• View Profile
'67 wiper pump
« on: March 30, 2012, 12:07:02 AM »
I am hoping that someone might have an idea of what I need to do next. The original pump would not spray/squirt. So off it came and I found that the black rubber bellows, (the rubber part that has the spring attached to it inside housing), was torn. I couldn't find a replacement so I bought a new replacement white head pump. The new pump is made slightly different than the original in two areas. First the pump frame mounting holes are 3/4" further apart end to end. It can still be used by using another hole with a longer bolt at the top left side of pump toward the center. SecondThe bellows part is not made the same but the design should work. I installed the new pump and the large black plastic gear will only rotate one turn until it gets stuck and won't move. The metal strap that moves back and forth still moves and tries to catch the gear but it won't budge. If I take the sliding lever and spring off and manually rotate the gear past the stuck area and put back together it works for one more rotation and then sticks in same location again. But the sprayers are working now but won't shut off at all. They actually spray twice more after the wipers park when turned off. I kept searching for parts and found grilleteeth.com, and they have a rubber bellows that replaces the one I need. Ordered and received the new bellows from grilleteeth.com and installed on old pump. I also changed out the washer valve kit. Wired back up and still no washer spray. I have primed the hoses and can actually squirt water through the nozzles if I use a shringe to add slight pressure to supply hose. All other components are new. It now seems as though the switch may or may not be working because I can not hear a clicking when I push in to activate the washers. I previously rewired the entire car and all grounds are good including the one at the wiper motor and at the switch. And just if you are wondering the 4 sided gear/cog on the motor does constantly rotate. Any thoughts? ??? Thanks for hearing me out.
J.R.

flyingskibiker

• View Profile
Re: '67 wiper pump
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 05:39:43 AM »
Yes, I hear that the rachet wheel doesn't constantly rotate.  When the wiper knob is pressed, a solenoid pulls a latch/arm into contact with the wheel.  I think that arm constantly moves back and forth.  When engaged, it pulls the wheel one "notch".  This is all from drawings I have seen online.  I wonder if there is a problem in that system? 

I (finally) put all my spare parts up in storage.  So, I can't easily pull it out and do some poking around.  I have a few pictures of the motor appart and a diagram of the wiper and pump inner workings.  I think someone scanned them from either Body by Fisher or the Service Manual.

adjudimo

• View Profile
Re: '67 wiper pump
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 09:30:02 AM »
I even replaced the switch and still no go. The solenoid part is not activating. Doesn't even make a noise like it should when the knob is pressed in. Theres only five total wires involved. Light and dark blue for high and low speeds, a black ground and the white (AAW) wire that jumpers between the two connections. I have ground at the switch/dash and installed new ground between motor housing grommet and firewall. All ground areas were taken down to metal when I did the wiring. The gear/cog I mentioned that constantly rotates is the one on the motor itself with the four lugs sticking outward. For whatever reason, the arm won't lift up and engage the gear that rotates and controls the pump action. Thanks!

anything