Author Topic: 1969 Black Dash Top Suede Paint Finish - aerosol spray source?  (Read 11840 times)

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
Who makes the best aerosol spray can suede paint for a 1969 dash top restoration?
I see lots of formulas and additives for paint shop pro's but I need a already mixed spray bomb option.

Thanks
Brian

1969 Z-11 350/300 with 4 Speed
TeamCamaro - Moderator

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1969 Black Dash Top Suede Paint Finish - aerosol spray source?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 08:57:21 PM »
All you have to do with any rattle can is fog it on from about 18". Dries to much the same appearance.
Learning more and more about less and less...

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 10:43:09 PM »
All you have to do with any rattle can is fog it on from about 18". Dries to much the same appearance.

That's exactly how I did it with my '67 dash annd it came out just right.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

77thor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 11:04:24 PM »

Yeah, I used Rustoleum's Satin Black for the top of the dash.
1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build
1977 Camaro, 350(LM1), M20, 10 Bolt Posi, Purchased New, (SOLD)

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 11:08:05 PM »
If you are not set up to gun spray, SEM makes an aerosol texture coating. Spray wet or dry to achieve desired effect. Dries dead flat and must be topcated with SEM trim black for proper gloss. Or topcoat it with whatever the car's original color is. SEM is a professional product, unlike hardware store paints. If memory serves, it was also posted here that Krylon make a texture coating. Perhaps firstgenaddict posted pictures of it.

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 11:54:49 PM »

I have never tried to fog when painting - much talent needed? I assume the technique cant be done outside - I need still air?
TeamCamaro - Moderator

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 11:57:00 PM »
If you are not set up to gun spray, SEM makes an aerosol texture coating. Spray wet or dry to achieve desired effect. Dries dead flat and must be topcated with SEM trim black for proper gloss. Or topcoat it with whatever the car's original color is. SEM is a professional product, unlike hardware store paints. If memory serves, it was also posted here that Krylon make a texture coating. Perhaps firstgenaddict posted pictures of it.
I looked in a few big box stores for the Krylon mentioned here and on TC but could not find it. Rustoleum had several textured ones but they were all "multi colored" looks like glitter in the mix.  Anyone know the current Krylon paint number(s)
TeamCamaro - Moderator

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 12:42:04 AM »
All jobbers sell SEM. It's even sold on-line. SEM fries fast and is durable. You won't know how to dry spray(fog) with aerosols like William mentions till you pull the trigger. As I stated, SEM offers a texture coating. Just google their site for all their products.  Products chosen and spraying technique is up to you.

IZRSSS

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 12:48:47 AM »
Brian - Just follow what William stated to a tee. Get just close enough to the surface to be painted so the suspended paint will stick. The farther away you are the larger the paint particles will be. Play with the distance until you get the desired texture. You can achieve this with just about any rattle paint can out there. Just remember to get full coverage and keep the can/spray moving. This took me about a minute (rust-oleum I had laying around the garage).

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 01:11:21 AM »
Rustoleum dries very slowly and is not the product SEM is. Dry spraying is not difficult, anyone can do it as seen above. The particles are not larger when using the technique, they are simply further from one another and do not combine on the surface tightly and uniformly. The faster a paint dries, the easier it is to achieve the texture. And if you don't want to do it, the SEM texture coating does it for you. I stock it and use it often on various parts.

IZRSSS

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 01:31:34 AM »
Dry spraying is not difficult, anyone can do it as seen above.

GEE THANKS! :)

He is right though. Imagine what it would like if I hadn't been blind folded? ;D

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 01:35:38 AM »
My point was that many things can be done, all you have to do is jump in and try.

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 01:55:56 AM »
Thanks guys. I'll give it a try and if it sucks I guess I can always buy the textured paint.
I'm thinking I should give up on the idea of spot repairing the small patch of skud I'm trying to repair and do the whole dash.
I want to leave the glass in which I guess is going to make this a major PITA project.
TeamCamaro - Moderator

IZRSSS

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 01:12:08 PM »
My point was that many things can be done, all you have to do is jump in and try.

I agree, and was just yanken your chain.

Also, as for the rust-oleum product, it was just stuff I had laying around the shop. My point was that this suede finish could be achieved with just about anything in a rattle can, it's that simple. I was in no way implying this stuff should be be used on our Camaro's. ;)

When it's time to correct my car I will certainly consider the SEM product you recommended. In addition, does a followup clear coat need to be applied? If the answer is yes, what product do you recommend and at what % of gloss, if any?

I want to leave the glass in which I guess is going to make this a major PITA project.

I don't think you can paint it correctly unless the glass is removed.

anything