Author Topic: 1969 brakes  (Read 2838 times)

wisemanz28

• View Profile
1969 brakes
« on: April 07, 2012, 08:04:53 PM »
Over the winter I sent my power brake booster to Jerry MacNeish for replating, after I put the booster back on and bolted the master cylinder on I bled the master cylinder without any issues, bled both front calipers, bled one side of the rear with no problems and when I switched to the other side of the rear I coundn't hardly get anything to come out of the bleeder. I rechecked the master cylinder ( rear reservoir) and tried to rebleed it but hardly anything would come out. I can't figure out what is going on. Is the problem in the brake booster?

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: 1969 brakes
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 12:17:28 AM »
Did you replace all your rubber hoses? These need to be replaced every 5 years.

Also check to make sure you didn't bottom out your axle and crimp the hard line. (Don't ask me how I know this!)

Ed

Dusk Blue Z

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 01:49:01 AM »
I had the exact same problem last year. It turned out to be some crud behind the bleeder screw on just the one wheel cylinder.

Mike
Mike

1969 Z/28 Legends Certified
1969 Z-10 Under Construction

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 02:05:14 AM »
Also, when bleeding brakes you should start with the wheel farthest from the master cylinder and finish with the closest.

Paul

mopar346

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 02:56:21 AM »
Also, when bleeding brakes you should start with the wheel farthest from the master cylinder and finish with the closest.

Paul

My first thought as well. It's not the booster, make sure your rear brakes are in proper adjustment then try bleeding again in the proper order and make sure you keep the master full. If it presist take the bleeder all the way out of that wheel cylinder,hold your finger over it, have someone slowly push the peddle down, use your finger like a one way check valve. Once you get good flow, make sure the bleeder is clean and reinstall it, then continue normal bleeding. WARNING: when it started to get fluid at the cylinder in question it will spray everywhere, so make sure your partner is pressing s-l-o-w-l-y.