Author Topic: 69 Z28 Brake Booster Question  (Read 5116 times)

69camarox33

• View Profile
69 Z28 Brake Booster Question
« on: April 06, 2012, 12:55:05 AM »
Hey CRG Members,

I do have a question about the date code for a brake booster for a  69 Z28. I have heard answers that the dates for these are all over the place. Let's say we have a 69 Z28 that has cowl code body build date of 4 C and was built on the tail end of that week and the brake booster is dated one day into the following week. Would this be correct? Was the Brake Booster stamped at the assembly line as it was put on the car or was it stamped in a different location were the brake booster was made? Just thought this would be an interesting question to bring up to see if someone knew the answer.

Thanks,

69camaroX33   

Mike S

• View Profile
Re: 69 Z28 Brake Booster Question
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 01:26:17 AM »
 If it's like '67 then the booster normally predates the chassis assembly.
The booster was stamped when the booster was assembled.
I guess in your case it can be possible if a new batch of boosters werereceived and used when the car was assembled.
My 67 LOS 4B has an 8515 booster with 84 as the Julian date.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 01:47:25 AM »
Parts are normally dated from a few days to a few weeks prior to assembly of the car. Different parts have different time spans but they are all preassembly dates.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 02:14:40 PM »
Let's say we have a 69 Z28 that has cowl code body build date of 4 C and was built on the tail end of that week and the brake booster is dated one day into the following week. Would this be correct? Was the Brake Booster stamped at the assembly line as it was put on the car or was it stamped in a different location were the brake booster was made?

Remember that the build date code on the cowl tag is when the body started in the Body Shop, and it took a couple of days for it to get to Final Assembly on the Chevrolet side of the plant where the booster was installed. The booster was date-stamped at Delco-Moraine where it was made.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 02:40:30 AM »
69camarox33,

JohnZ and tmodel66 are correct.  As long as your brake booster precedes your build date, by a reasonable about, you probably have the correct unit.  I have a "05A" or first week of May Norwood built '69Z.  It still has its original "9204" stamped power brake booster date coded "108", or the 108th day of 1969 which was April 18th, which was only about two weeks before the trim tag car assembly date.

If you have the '69 Camaro Assembly Instruction Manual (AIM…a must have if you're restoring your car), page 260 covering the J52 Front Disc Brakes and Power Brake Cylinder Balance Valve & Brake Pipes show the booster and master cylinder as GM #5468165 Cylinder Asm.  This assembly was built and date coded by Delco Moraine when the subassembly was built at the component plant prior shipment to the Camaro assembly plants.  With a few exceptions, this was the situation on many of the subassemblies the GM component plants sent to the assembly plants. CRG has many great tech articles on the date code topic and the assembly process.

Hope this helps and good luck on your project!