Author Topic: How to make chrome parts looked brushed?  (Read 9453 times)

sdkar

• View Profile
How to make chrome parts looked brushed?
« on: April 03, 2012, 07:05:01 PM »
Hey guys,

I have decided to see if I can make all of my chrome parts on my 69 Camaro pro tour looked like brushed aluminum or as close as possilbe.  This will include the window chrome, rocker trim, rain gutters, outer door handles, and the bumpers, etc.  I see where you can buy some of these items made out of brushed aluminum, and they look great and I certainly would not mind spending a couple of bucks buying these items...but OMG...they cost a small fortune. 

I saw one company selling brushed door handles for almost $400.  I know I can't afford to do that...at least not all at once. 

So, any suggestions?  Has anyone had any success in doing this?  If so, send me photos of how it came out if you can.  Is there a paint, acid wash, scotch pads, sand paper, powder coat, etc.?  Is there a company that can do this if you send them your items? 

Petes L48

• View Profile
Re: How to make chrome parts looked brushed?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 07:17:26 PM »
Never tried this company although I'm probably going to try zinc plating some smaller parts using either their kit or make up my own.  Can't tell if this is a paint or type of plating kit:
http://www.caswellplating.com/brushed-aluminum-mydipkit.html

Rufcar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 12:11:24 PM »
I have used several cadwell kits. The zinc is great and if you wire wheel the parts 1st they get more or silver cad look.tha said, the kits work better using a battery charger instead if batteries. Btw the zinc kit from Eastmans is a great bsrgin too. I alsi used the cadwell nickel kit. You must heat up the acids 1st but the kit includes the heater. You can only use the chemicals for singular metals as they are pre mixed for specific metals.

KERR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 07:17:24 PM »
im sure you have already tried something but plasti dip clear will make  chrome look brushed.

mickeystoys69RSSS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 04:39:15 PM »
A previous post suggested a wire wheel so I would try that on a scrap piece or with steel wool or emery cloth first and see how it works?

adjudimo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 08:31:59 PM »
I just did a google  searching for "how to make chrome look like brushed aluminum" and several different site suggestions came up. You probably need to do that along with what others have posted and make a more informed decision. Just a thought.