Author Topic: Again, package tray/rear window mldg. trim paint? Suede? Ever see both?  (Read 48595 times)

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
Re: Again, package tray/rear window mldg. trim paint? Suede? Ever see both?
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2012, 08:15:03 PM »
Thanks, William!
So is that considered adequate documentation in a model specific Camaro meet.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 08:34:53 PM by lakeholme »
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2012, 09:28:56 PM »
Thanks, William!
So is that considered adequate documentation in a model specific Camaro meet.
Umm, good question! I know of several restored cars that do not have suede paint in that area and have not had points deducted either. Might be a good assumption judges accept both ways! Any judges out there that can answer?  As stated earlier though, I will post better pics of our corner pieces next week.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2012, 11:36:35 PM »
You need to remember you are looking at a 44 year old paint finish. When I had a rattle can of suede mixed for our '69 project I first tried it out on a parts car. It wasn't even close to the finish on the exposed dash top-but it was a perfect match to the area under the dash pad.

Clill's near perfect original '69 and the R-M data I provided should be all the "proof" you need. It was suede-get over it.
Learning more and more about less and less...

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2012, 12:27:09 AM »
I understand paint deterioration. Especially lacquer as opposed to catylized urethane. I don't doubt Charlie's car or others I've seen are suede. John's package tray seemed to appear as he stated, medium gloss. Upon examination m22mike's appears suede in comparison.
Here's a link showing William's R-M book reference. http://documents.clubexpress.com/documents.ashx?key=Mn9lNR5oNp9Osk1Oybo9zXiUl8H2ZPEfYNR%2fojqMOY6daTf3pOKmoYhGMkL2rkQ%2f

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2012, 12:36:31 AM »
Scott - I thought about asking you to interperate Bill's R-M quote in lay terms so someone like me can understand what it means. I'd like to take it one step farther; would you be willing to shoot us a sample as per the same R-M and post pics so we all know what this finish should look like. I know this is asking a lot but is this request doable? I am very interested to see how close the results are to the finish on Charlie's car.
I have to shoot a 68 dash top and rear package soon. Not sure if I'm using PPG or R-M. PPG jobber still has lacquer. Never had a reason to ask my R-M jobber for lacquer. If I cross it over to urethane I have to play with it.

IZRSSS

« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2012, 12:54:22 AM »
Thank you Scott. I look forward to seeing the results!

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2012, 01:18:11 AM »
This R-M data is the same language that PPG has on their paint charts. I posted it before and got called out on it saying you can't go by what was printed on PPG charts and I was a fool for thinking that was correct. Thanks William for the information !!
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2012, 01:51:28 AM »
This R-M data is the same language that PPG has on their paint charts. I posted it before and got called out on it saying you can't go by what was printed on PPG charts and I was a fool for thinking that was correct. Thanks William for the information !!

Why? All paints can be mixed by all paint manufacturers. I do it every week. That's what formulas are for. The only difference is some company's tints may occasionally match better than another's. That applies primarily to newer colors. And some first gen colors are available in Glasurit 55-Line and waterborne but not PPG DBC for instance.  Or vehicle manufacturers who have a company "hold" their formulas. Like bikes for instance.

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2012, 02:07:45 AM »
Scott I'm talking about the Suede finish being used on the rear package tray area. I forgot who it was but they said that being on PPG paint charts didn't make it true. It plainly states on the chart that the rear window trim is -0- Gloss.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2012, 02:16:49 AM »
Scott I'm talking about the Suede finish being used on the rear package tray area. I forgot who it was but they said that being on PPG paint charts didn't make it true. It plainly states on the chart that the rear window trim is -0- Gloss.
I realize that. No reason one manufacturer's recommendations would differ from another's. They are on the same page so to speak. They have to be, it's their business.

Steve68

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2012, 05:24:52 PM »
From post #33 above:
Here's a link showing William's R-M book reference. http://documents.clubexpress.com/documents.ashx?key=Mn9lNR5oNp9Osk1Oybo9zXiUl8H2ZPEfYNR%2fojqMOY6daTf3pOKmoYhGMkL2rkQ%2f

Looking at the Camaro charts for 1968 and 1969 the back window lower garnish is listed as black A-946 (semi) for the 68 and black 168C41 (suede) for the 69.  Am I not a professional painter so I freely admit I can be missing something.  It also appears for the 68 that note 1 would allow the painter to adjust the amount of "flat" (849 suede concentrate) that can be added and needed to achieve the desired look.  Again I can be way off on this too.

Steve

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2012, 04:40:53 AM »
I took more pics of the low mile 69 and a couple 68's that have had a harder life. The finish on the 68's appears to have started as suede but different parts have degraded at different rates. Some look almost smooth but in one of the pics at the right angle you can see it was suede even though the same part in the pic above it looks shiny. This site doesn't host big enough pics so I posted them on my site with a link.

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=487149&#Post487149

Steve68

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2012, 01:40:06 PM »
Charlie

The site contains boxes with ? In side each box.

Is your car a 70 model?  If so, have you looked at the charts (70 specifically) William provided above to compare it with what you have on your car?

Steve

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2012, 02:41:52 PM »
I see the pics just fine. Can anybody else see the pics ? The pics are from a 69 and two 68's.

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2012, 03:15:44 PM »
I see the pics just fine. Can anybody else see the pics ? The pics are from a 69 and two 68's.

Nope!  I tried two different computers....
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director