Author Topic: Again, package tray/rear window mldg. trim paint? Suede? Ever see both?  (Read 48565 times)

69Z28freak

• View Profile
Re: Again, package tray/rear window mldg. trim paint? Suede? Ever see both?
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2012, 04:27:01 AM »
Here are some pics of my original finish paint. The dash panel looks like a different finish than the rear window or the lower dash area. Rear window area looks closer to the lower dash than the upper dash. 68/11C Norwood car. But all 3 locations look different to me.

Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

IZRSSS

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2012, 11:21:51 AM »
Mike – I took your first pic and adjusted it best I could. I think this is an example of what time and the elements can do to a finish. Unless each section of molding was painted separately (which is highly unlikely), you have two slightly different finishes on the same moldings and my guess is the two sections simply weathered differently. Or the distance of the gun changed from one location to the next. Anyone else?

BTW…how many miles & which plant?

Thanks

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2012, 04:55:50 AM »
Hey Marty great eye. My car is a 11C 68 built 69 Norwood car. Standard Blue interior. Wouldn't that rear section have all been painted at once? Or were the corner pieces painted seperately at a different time. From what I recall the screws were chrome indicating that the corners were painted before being installed. Either way the upper dash panel seems to have a diffrent finish than the lower dash or the rear package tray moulding. It is also amazing how every part of the car has a different color finish due to the various materials and finishes. I never noticed it so much with black, but I think it is the same for all color interiors.
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2012, 10:51:03 AM »
Lacquer has poor adhesion to chrome, as do all paints. That's why it came off the screws, and would not have taken 40 years to do so. Corner pieces were painted in place. Color differences are not amazing because the paint on metal and the tints and pigments used in different materials are not the same.

Marty, that picture is not conclusive, indicative or definitive of a suede finish. To me they look nearly identical. The other blurry picture is worthless. If you study how reflections and highlights indicate texture, it helps to evaluate a surface. One has to know for photorealistic and realistic painting to produce an accurate and believable piece. Those surfaces deteriorated differently because they are in different locations. It's only natural some don't look the same. Light and shadow influence their appearance also. All elements must be taken into consideration when observing objects. Another subject entirely.

The body went though the entire paint prep process before those corner pieces were screwed in place. That is also why they may, but necessariy appear slightly different. The surface the lacquer was shot over was different. If one paints, one understands all these things. It helps if one has torn quite a few of these cars apart over the years also. Hands on experience makes a big difference in knowledge acquisition.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 12:26:59 PM by Sauron327 »

IZRSSS

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2012, 12:47:58 PM »
I couldn't agree more. And trust me when I say all of what you've stated is taken into consideration when evaluating member's pics. Unfortunately, not all of us can take quality photographs like Charlie. So I do the best I can with what I have in front of me.  :)

And...no offense to Charlie, but I don't think even he would be able to duplicate the excellent pics he took. Peace Charlie. ;D

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2012, 01:05:43 PM »
Depends on the camera as well as the person behind it. Camera phones which many use can't compare to a good SLR. I have an older Canon Rebel XTi 10.1MP which is decent but certainly not a professional model.

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2012, 01:49:47 PM »
Is there any factory documentation about interior paint finishes?
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2012, 02:09:56 PM »
LOL...I think I took them with my I-phone.

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2012, 02:24:58 PM »
Some cell phones take good pictures, others produce poor quality.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 02:53:36 PM by Sauron327 »

Steve68

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2012, 02:36:55 PM »
My pictures are from my phone.  I have asked my oldest son who has some excellent professional type camera's and other associated gear to bring his equipment over.  I'm not sure when he will be able to as he lives about 50 minutes away.

FWIW looking at my dash (suede) it looks different, to my eye, than the rear window trim.
I will have to look again but I think the corner screws are chrome.  I'll look down in the Phillips head to see if there might be some paint.

Steve

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2012, 02:56:30 PM »
Steve, those shots are not bad, they show the surface well. Enough to see the dash top is suede and the rear package is not. A flash can sometimes ruin a shot. Other times it will cast shadows across the surface, showing texture but eliminating the rest of the object's clarity.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2012, 02:58:01 PM »

Nope. The detailed description of paint formulations and application equipment/techniques are contained in the Fisher Body OD (Operation Description) sheets, and they've never been published outside of GM.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2012, 03:07:29 PM »
Thanks, John.
So, without documentation and various views of original cars and a variety of expert opinions, how would one judge this interior finish issue???
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2012, 04:52:11 PM »

Well sort of. The '69 Chevrolet page in the R-M refinishing manual has the following statement:

"Note Alpha-Cryl formulae containing No. 849 Suede Concentrate produce material of approximately a zero gloss as required. Upper instrument panel, radio auxiliary speaker grille, rear window defogger grille, back window lower garnish."

Learning more and more about less and less...

IZRSSS

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2012, 08:08:45 PM »
Scott - I thought about asking you to interperate Bill's R-M quote in lay terms so someone like me can understand what it means. I'd like to take it one step farther; would you be willing to shoot us a sample as per the same R-M and post pics so we all know what this finish should look like. I know this is asking a lot but is this request doable? I am very interested to see how close the results are to the finish on Charlie's car.