Author Topic: Trailering a Camaro  (Read 4436 times)

harddock

• View Profile
Trailering a Camaro
« on: March 21, 2012, 02:30:28 PM »
 Where would you put the straps to tie down on to a trailer?   1968 Camaro  -  4 tiedowns on trailer.

BULLITT65

• View Profile
Re: Trailering a Camaro
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 03:14:45 PM »
well typically 1 strap over the right rear axle tube, and 1 over the left. Up front you can do an X pattern and go from the right side to the left lower arm, and then from the left tiedown to the right lower arm. Get a little tension on each strap, tighten the front equally so with the X pattern the straps will want to keep the car low and centered on the tralier. Then go to the back and tighten down each rear strap equally. You want as close to the same tension on each strap as possible but make sure there is a good amount of tension and that there are no twisting of the straps, you want them to all be as flat as possible. I tried to answer this as best I could for you. Don't be afraid to ask for somebodies help that has done it before, it is not hard to learn but I don't want you to lose the Camaro in the process of learning how to do it.
I would say if you have to ask how to strap one down you have no business in trying to trailer Camaro. And I say this for your safety and those who may be following you in traffic.
* oh if you do get the car on the trailer go at least 5 to 10 miles an hour slower than the posted speed limit and make sure you know how the trailer is going to respond to a quick stop or turn.
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

harddock

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 04:23:40 PM »
Thanks, I have trailered cars before and I was just double checking how it is being done by you guys. Sometimes a new technique or gismo is out there and you don't know about it unless you ask.

I've seen some running a strap through the front of the front wheels and rear of the rear if spokes with large openings. I wondered if this is a special strap or how you do this without chafing a wheel.

joesauer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 06:37:34 PM »
Watch out for the rear brake lines. If yours are running along the axle ok, should not be a problem.  have seen a few where the line was not affixed properly & the trailer strap did damage.

CNorton

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 07:42:13 PM »
I X-cross the rear tie-down straps to prevent any lateral movement by the trailer from allowing the car to slide sideways.  I position the front straps parallel.  In some instances, it is helpful to use axle straps when natural attachment points are not available.  I usually put axle straps around the front crossmember of 1st gen Camaros.  As was mentioned, be careful not to capture and crush the rear brake lines if you use straps around the rear axle.  If the car has a front spoiler, you may find it convenient to position low ramps under the wheels to lift the front of the car an inch or two so that the straps are clear of any bodywork.  I've probably towed a minimum of 100,000 miles with both open and enclosed trailers.

c

anything