Author Topic: Questions about the installation of 1967 factory console gauges?  (Read 7128 times)

1967RS/SS

• View Profile
I am finally getting around to installing my old factory gauges.  I decided to re-wiring my entire car (Factory Fit wiring from American Autowire) and just received everything I bought.  After looking through all the wiring, I have the following questions.    

Question #1: Was the tachometer only powered by the wiring harness to the printed circuit board or will I need to run other wiring for the power, ground, and signal?

Question #2: Is my temperature sender supposed to be sticking up this much or is it not seated all the way?  I encountered some resistance when tightening it and didn’t want to force anything but don’t know if it is correctly installed.  

Question #3: Is there suppose to be a ground wire under the console to the floor/trans tunnel?  Under my console there is a piece of masking tape with writing on it stating to “run ground strap to bracket”.  Don’t know if that is a factory note written or by one of the two previous owners.  If there is suppose to be one, what bracket does it connect to (seat belt, console bracket, ect)?

Question #4: Is the temperature sender wire built into another one of the harnesses I purchased or do I need to run a separate wire from the sender to the gauge?    

1967 RS/SS L-48
Van Nuys 01C
Joseph

flyingskibiker

• View Profile
Re: Questions about the installation of 1967 factory console gauges?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 02:21:08 AM »
1. Signal, Power, and Ground to the Tach is via the circuit board and housing.

2. Were the threads in the manifold OK?  Was a lot of thread sealant used?  Cross threaded?  The sensor doesn't have to be all the way down flush.  But the probe should be in the stream.  You can mark it now, back it out, and see how far it actually screwed in...

3. 67 AIM UPC D55, sheet A6 says (what I assume is) the ground wire is screwed into an "Existing hole in Underbody".  The hole appears to be in front of the console and on the top left side of the tunnel.?.?  Is that where your ground wire is located in the harness (close to heater duct)?  '68s have a ground wire that screws into the tunnel near the shifter hole.

4. The temp sender wire goes from gauge harness, to fuse block, is part of the engine harness, and runs along the intake/valve cover to the sensor.  It should be part of the harnesses and not separate.

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 02:24:56 AM »
I don't know about 67's but on 68 when you wire under the dash and for the cluster a brown wire goes to the driver's side of the fuse box and another one plugs into the firewall side and that hooks to the coil for the tach.  As for the ground wire to the console, it needs to be done for 68 and 9.  If you have an AIM it's D55 and shows the ground wire bolted to the floor.  The temp sender wire is green and has a cloth covering over it.  You may have needed to buy it separately?  It plugs into the firewall side of the fusebox and comes from the console to the inside part of fusebox.
68Z28

1967RS/SS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 04:34:25 AM »
Thanks for all the help guys.

2. Were the threads in the manifold OK?  Was a lot of thread sealant used?  Cross threaded?  The sensor doesn't have to be all the way down flush.  But the probe should be in the stream.  You can mark it now, back it out, and see how far it actually screwed in...

The threads should be ok.  I purchased this Edelbrock manifold new and installed a plug (careful not to cross thread) upon installation. 

I will check the sender to see if its in the coolant. 

I read not to use thread sealant on the sender because it gives an inaccurate reading.  I just used some anti-sieze to protect the manifold. 

1967 RS/SS L-48
Van Nuys 01C
Joseph

flyingskibiker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 09:29:27 PM »
Yes, the single wire senders/sensors get ground through the engine.  So, too much sealant can cause a bad ground. 

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 03:03:09 AM »
Question #3
What is the build date of your 67?
Does your console electrical plug connect to the main wiring harness at the lower firewall or in the console as the AIM shows?
I have been working on this problem for some time and can not find any supporting information that the 67 AIM D55 A6,A7,A8 and U17 A3 are drawn correctly.
Am presently looking for someone with a auto and manual 05 or later build that can verify that they have a console that is wired as it is shown in the 67 AIM.
Camaros before 05 had the console ground wire grounded at the radio bracket not like it is shown in the AIM D55 A6.
Bob

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 02:11:46 AM »
 ??? ??? ??? ???
Bob

1967RS/SS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 04:04:10 AM »
Sorry big iron!  Didnt realize you had asked a question on my post.  Anyways,

My car is an O1C

and my console plugs in at the dash harness at the lower firewall, kind of just hanging there I guess...
1967 RS/SS L-48
Van Nuys 01C
Joseph

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 01:31:33 AM »
Thank you very much. ;D
Bob

anything