Author Topic: 68 396 Power Steering Pump  (Read 28811 times)

rod396

• View Profile
Re: 68 396 Power Steering Pump
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2012, 03:01:28 PM »
Steve:
Thanks for the additional info.
Your approx. 15 degree estimation is about on par with the photo of the one on the table, of which is apparently a correct pump.
This wil be a big help now in finding the correct pump.
Thanks
Rod.

Steve68

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2012, 07:49:57 PM »
Your welcome Rod.

Bob, I have attached 2 pictures of the hose clip that is a part of the gear assembly.  It has a "U" shape on the part that holds the hose and is slanted.  I hope the pictures will show the slanted aspect to the "U" shape part.

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2012, 08:09:14 PM »
Steve,
There is a spring clamp that holds the two hoses together between the gear box and the sleeves. Mike said the clamp was rubber coated but the one I have is plain steel as shown in 67 AIM N40 A10 #10. Just wondering if yours is rubber coated?
The clip on the gear box I have is a reproduction and was looking for more detail. such as number's or manufacturer's markings and finish.
If you take the old high pressure hose and pull the fittings back you should be able to see the original finish.
I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. ;D
Bob

Steve68

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2012, 08:49:42 PM »
I don't see the spring clamp right off.  If it is still there it must be down under.  Will take another look.

rod396

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2012, 09:38:43 PM »
Bob,
I removed an original clamp that mounts to the gearbox this weekend from a '70 Nova, exactly the same thing as in Steve's photos.
The Phosphate coating was well-preserved due to this car being an oil leaker since day one.
No vendor stamp anywhere, but it is phosphate plated dark gray. This car was 100% bone-stock V8 4-door.
No evidence of any spring clamp or similar retainer holding the hoses together.
The return line had the sleeve around it, roughly 8 inches long, which strongly resembles Steve's, looks identical to the rubber copper pipe protector/insulation that you see at Home Depot (I have never seen the other protective sleeve as on Steve's pressure line, and I have stripped many of these and other similar GM cars over the past 30 years), but maybe his is original. If not, it sure looks like a smart idea in the interest of protection.
Rod.

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2012, 10:38:36 PM »
Steve,
Great shot of the clip, now I know what to look for. My repo. looks close but they have made structural modifications and the metal looks thicker.
Bob

Steve68

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2012, 11:48:37 PM »
Rod

Both the return and pressure lines have the original protective sleeves on them.  I am estimating the length at 5" but as the sleeves are down under for the most part I'm not positive. Getting a ruler on them would be difficult to say the least.

Bob

Glad it helps.  I'm positive the clip is original.  As I'm sure you already know the "slant" in the "U" portion makes sure the hose routing is right.  How is the repo different?

Just a friendly reminder that I'm the original owner of my car and with few exceptions still all original.   For instance the voltage regulator on the car is a replacement but I still have the original in a box.  Other things like the original battery and tires are long gone however I do still have an original spare tire that was retreaded back in the 70's some time.  It's a Tiger Paw red line.   :)

Steve

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2012, 01:47:23 AM »
Steve/ Ron,
All first gen. (67-68-69) V8's had sleeves 3791814 on both hoses. ( not reproduced)
All  '      '            '         '     had clamp 3874661 that held both hoses together.
Only 67-68 BB had clip ( P/N not known) that was part of steering box asm.(Steve's picture) but in 69 the clip was a added to all V8's.
Another clip 3953258 was added in 69 to all V8's at the lower engine stand bolt. Could have been added because of the redesigned pump and hose lines.

Steve,
Can you tell me if the steering box clip has ribs on the outer surface? (the part that holds the hose)
I wish I had kept my original 68 RS/SS 396  but sold it to my brother in 75 and under age son took it out and destroyed it. Have been trying to get it back ever since but that is another story. >:(
Bob

Steve68

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2012, 07:04:10 PM »
Bob

Can you tell me if the steering box clip has ribs on the outer surface? (the part that holds the hose)

Going by feel alone I didn't think it does.  Will you post a picture of the repo so I can see what you are referring to?

If you take the old high pressure hose and pull the fittings back you should be able to see the original finish.

Note the very end of the pipe.  This is the area where the fitting would normally be when the hose is installed.

Steve

Steve68

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2012, 08:03:20 PM »

Bob, reading you question again........it feels like there is a ridge on both sides of the U shaped part leaving a valley in the middle.  Is this what you are asking?  There are not multiple ridges running along the back side that I can feel.

Steve

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2012, 11:38:26 PM »
Steve,
Just got home from a little fishing trip in the RV and will get your picture tomorrow.  ;D
The way you are describing the clip sounds to be correct.
The pipe looks like it has a gold finish????
Bob

Steve68

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2012, 08:41:24 PM »
The pipe looks like it has a gold finish?

Yep, a small area right at the end.  Was this not what you were expecting (or hoping for)?

Steve

anything