Author Topic: 68 396 Power Steering Pump  (Read 28827 times)

big iron

• View Profile
Re: 68 396 Power Steering Pump
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2012, 01:35:08 AM »
Mike,
Would it be possible to get a picture of the rubber coated ring you mentioned? Have seen metal clips but am intrigued by the rubber coating. ;D
Is there anything special about the clip that holds the high pressure hose to the gear box?
Bob
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 02:00:33 AM by big iron »

rod396

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2012, 04:13:26 AM »

Well, i guess the most current photo posted by Ed confirms this. This is the version I will now pursue. You are dead-on about your ebay comment; everything was off of a "Camaro" and was, in addition, of course, an "SS".   
Regarding the hose sleeves; the material is similar to rubber plumbers pipe insulation, I have seen it on period and later other GM models As I remember, it was semi-bonded to the hoses to keep the purpose of its location. smooth outer surface and the inner core a bit more textured.
Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Steve68

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2012, 05:57:37 PM »
I still have the original pump in my 68 L78 (original owner and unretored).  Do you want me to take a picture and post?

Steve

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2012, 05:58:21 PM »
Please do Steve.

Ed

rod396

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2012, 06:45:31 PM »
That would be great; multiple views, if at all possible.
Thanks.
Rod.

Steve68

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2012, 01:18:37 PM »
I'll try to get at least one pic up by this afternoon. 
multiple views, if at all possible.
.  I will try but there is not very much room to maneuver a camera in this area........with the L78 there is not much room left in the engine compartment anywhere.  I love that big block!!!   :) ;) :D ;D

Steve

Steve68

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2012, 11:59:17 PM »
Very difficult to get good pictures.  Very tight space to work in.  Might try to lift car and get some shots from underneath at some point.  The hose picture is the hose after I removed it from the pump several years ago.  It rubbed through and started to leak.  I believe (to the best of my memory) that this was the original one.  If you look closely you can tell the newer hose is the one without any paint and has a sticker (part number) rapped around it.

Steve

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2012, 12:46:34 AM »
Steve,
What was the finish on the hose ends, silver or gold?
Bob

Steve68

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2012, 01:07:59 AM »
Steve,
What was the finish on the hose ends, silver or gold?
Bob

Bob, looking at the replaced hose it looks like silver.  However this hose probably was on the car for around 30 years or more so any gold plating that may have been on the ends may have long ago disappeared.

Steve

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2012, 01:54:41 AM »
Steve,
Usually the finish can be seen under the fitting.
In reply 30 I asked Mike about a clip and clamp could you comment?
Thanks.
Bob

rod396

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2012, 02:30:54 AM »
Steve;
Thanks for the photos.
One question though; the return line, is it curved upward where the hose attaches or downward?
Also, does it look to be the same clock angle/configuration/bend as the one in the photo posted (showing the one sitting on a patio table, with the blue protector on the nipple)??
Thanks for your efforts on this increasingly-interesting topic.
Rod.

Steve68

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2012, 05:01:36 PM »
Bob and Rod

I will check for both of on your questions.  Real busy right now but I will get to them ASAP.

Steve

Steve68

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2012, 03:16:23 PM »
OK, let's see if I can answer Bob an Rod.  Sorry to have taken so long it has just been a busy time for me.  I am willing to help any way I can.

Bob, are you talking about under the crimped fittings on the high pressure hose?  If so, it's so tight there that I could not get a small flat blade screw driver under the fitting.  I would have to remove the hose from the fitting to see.  If I'm off base on this let me know.  Second, you are talking about a clamp on the low pressure hose on the ends....... right?

Rob, the return line is bent down (toward the Bottom of the reservoir) and to the right viewing the pump from the back side.  I will have to get under the car I think to be able to see how much angle is on it.  In my picture it looks like I attached the high pressure replacement line  something more like 40 degrees.......I probably did this to help eliminate another rub through.

Steve

rod396

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2012, 04:26:54 PM »
 :)Thanks, Steve! That bit of info does help.
Rod.

Steve68

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2012, 07:04:57 PM »
Rod

Took another look at the pressure hose angle and it looks like it is just slightly turned more to the right than a line drawn between the two attachment bolts.  This would be about 15 degrees if I had to guess.

Bob

There is a clip that holds the hose at the gear box.   It does have a unique shape.  Will try to get a pic for you.   The low pressure hose is held on by worm type Clamp at both ends ......I don't think they are original but just don't recall if/when I might have substituted them (if I did).  There are rubber like sleeves on the hoses for protection.  They are about 5" long.

As for a picture from underneath the car.......no way.  The view is almost completely blocked.  :'(

Steve

anything